PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
It was mentioned in another thread about the Linkman's factory still standing, and I thought I would put together a little "then and now" of some pipe factories I could find.
Here's an old drawing of the Linkman factory in Chicago from 1937:

Here it is now, a library and offices

Anyone have addresses of these old factories? The ads I've found on Google are a little too blurry.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
Not a factory, but here's a picture of the tobacco shop at Disneyland once upon a time:

and more recently:

sasquatch

Preferred Member
Jul 16, 2012
Not sure the exact era or which factory (Gubbels maybe) but a reasonably modern picture given the clothing and the fact that everything is electric (in the old days the tools were driven by gigantic belts and there were women in big puffy skirts standing right next to these big man-eating things... crazy).
But this is essentially what pipe making looks like in every big shop - station-specific tasks, carried out 47 times a day by each person.

sasquatch

Preferred Member
Jul 16, 2012
And notice again, women, over 50% of the staff. That carries over to just about every pipe-factory picture I've ever seen from any era.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
I couldn't find a picture of when it was in use, but here is the empty Kaywoodie Factory in New Jersey as it was before the factory was demolished:

And today:

scloyd

Preferred Member
May 23, 2018
Missouri Meerschaum, 400 W Front St, Washington, MO.
1880's

Now

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
Fabulous, Mike, thank you for the great photos.
The MM shop uses the original building, just expanded vertically and horizontally.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Great! I'm glad the MM factory isn't all gentrified. In the same way that I'm glad the Dr. Grabow (not pictured here) factory is kind of newer and "spruce" despite being in a smaller city/town.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
Couldn't find a 'before' shot, but here is where the first Blatter & Blatter shop was in Montreal. My guess is that it was in a block of buildings torn down to make this tower.