PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
So my girlfriend was on the couch and I was in the corner on the computer and she says "Leme guess, your on Ebay" this is how the conversation went from there;

Me. Yep

Her. Your always on Ebay

Me. and your always on Pinterest, while Im on Ebay

Her. But Im looking at new recipes to try for dinner

Me. well Im not eating that scented basket looking thing sitting on the coffee table

Her. that's different, its a craft, your always looking at pipes

Me. Im always looking, every now and then I see something worthwhile and try to get a deal

Her. what about that pipe you paid $150 for last year, you played with it for weeks and I never see you smoking it

Me. That was a Dunhill Shell Briar pipe, It was a steal, I cleaned and sanitized it and sold it to a guy from work for $500, that helped pay for the earnings I got you for our anniversary

Her. I love you

Me. I love you too babe, whats for dinner?

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
let's hope it's not "that scented basket looking thing sitting on the coffee table"
Great conversation,though

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Yah the pipe I thought was a freehand or Dublin variation but after resurching it found out it was a 70's era Tankard bowl, my buddy flipped when he saw it, had to have it, I let him talk me into a sale.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I informed my wife that a portion of the proceeds from my Bruce Weaver pieces goes to Brightstone, and a $600 pipe was instantly a great buy. :wink:
http://brightstone.org/

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Yep. Similar convo once between the wife and I. 1926 Dunhill check. Bought for $10 check. Sold for over $300 check. She doesn't question antique pipe values anymore.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
very very smart, indeed, I need to use the same technique with my wife.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
YEP.
I flipped a couple pipes before, but my wife just stopped asking about how much a pipe costs...and I don't ask her about her new shoes....

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1

Similar conversations with SWMBO, & although she is not dazzled by glitter & bobbles, she can be persuaded by splitting & putting up 6-8 cords of firewood for the winter (or sending her to the tropics).

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sounds like some of the conversations I've had with my wife !
My wife hates everything about pipes, pipe tobacco and pipe smoking. In fact, she especially doesn't like me "wasting" my time on this forum!
It just makes my "me" time that much more enjoyable.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had similar good-nature conversations with my wife. She collected Longaberger baskets (which can get kind of pricey). She always swore they had good value and which would only increase. A few years ago, like pipes (), she thought she had too many and decided to sell some on eBay. Sadly, their value didn't go up in most cases. I was able to give her some gentle ribbing. This week, the Longaberger folks had their basket shaped office building up for sale, but they were finding no takers (shocker!) So, a little more fun.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My wife loves it when pipes pay for an unexpected expense, such as the radiator that I ordered recently for my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.