Pipe Cleaner Preferences (One More Time)

• Thread starter mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast
  • Start date

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I thought I'd post my thoughts on pipe cleaners. I don't keep a lot of fluffies, but they are needed at times. I primarily use regulars. Even with regular swiping, you eventually get grime. I keep a pack or two of the bristled around. I have to use these here and there, but it bothers me that they scratch. In comes the shank brush. I prefer to only use the bristled on deep cleanings. I like the dry shank brush and regulars on a regular basis. Just thought I would share a thought I had.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I have various types (bristle, tapered, fluffy etc.) for deep cleaning purposes, but for everyday use, I find it incredibly hard to beat Blitz.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm a staunch BJ Long's fan. The regular for most applications and a few bristles, as needed. I have one pipe that requires a 7" rather than the standard 6.5" cleaner and they have some of those, also.

I have one or two pipes that would be easier to clean with a slimmer pipe cleaner but I can still get the standard ones through with a bit of care.

I've found it difficult to find a bulk source for good pipe cleaners, however, so please share if you have found some.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I thought I'd post my thoughts on pipe cleaners.
You had me from the first sentence.

I really can't accept anything other than BJ Long straight regular and bristled at this point. Don't know why, but nothing else will do.

difficult to find a bulk source for good pipe cleaners

I'd like to know the same. I sometimes fool myself into thinking that cutting down the 50-foot coils and foot-longs as needed saves money, but if I'm honest, I just enjoy doing it. It is kind of nice to cut shorter bristled cleaners when you have to run 300 of them through that "professionally cleaned" estate you just got off the bay. Makes that pile of blackened cleaners a little less horrifying when you're done.

Reactions: mtwaller

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use BJ Long bristled cleaners exclusively. I usually buy 2-3 boxes/year.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I don't think I've seen the boxes. Where's a good place to get those?

Reactions: trubka2

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Discovered the hard way that the bristled ones will score the hell out of a meerschaum chamber.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I have a very deep supply of Blitz pipe cleaners.
The only other one that comes close (and maybe even surpasses) is the Vauen blue striped ones.
A pint of Everclear lasts me about two years.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a staunch BJ Long's fan.
Yep, Longs for me to. I also keep an abundance of the fluffy thin wire (Hobby type) for some of the very old meers I have that will choke on a regular pipe cleaner. Do not want to try and force a regular one through on a few of them...

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Mainly regular and bristle that I purchase at the local Tinder Box. I believe they're B. J. Longs with a Tinder Box wrapper.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I mostly use Dill's regulars. They seem to leave way less lint than the B.J. Longs, thin enough for my Falcons, and come in a convenient cardboard sleeve. They are also the only pipe cleaners I can pickup locally. I also feel that the wire is a little stiffer in the Dill's.

I usually throw some B.J. Longs on when I place an order online.

Anyone else use Dill's?

Status
Not open for further replies.