PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
When I had my last pipe in the 90's ( a very nice entry level Savinelli given to me by a friend who insisted on replacing the dime store pipe I'd had that he broke) all I ever did was clean it with pipe cleaners ,and occasionally wipe the bowl out. I think I probably ran some fine grit sand paper in the bowl once a year or so but that was just me with no idea if I was doing the right thing or not.
Now that Savinelli is gone, I lent it to a friend when I was no longer smoking and he smoked cigarette tobacco out of it, (literally the last bits of his butts). I at the time assumed that A) I'd never want to smoke it again, and B) it was ruined; so I told my wife to donate it.
What I have is a budget briar bought at a good pipe shop here in Phoenix (Ye Old Pipe). I want to know, aside from running pipe cleaners through it after each smoke and pulling the stem (once its cool) and cleaning that up and the bowl every month or so, what do I need to do to keep this little gem in good shape? I've some bees wax from my muzzle-loading hobby I can use to wax it if that's appropriate, I'm just not sure how or how often. As for reaming, (or sanding as I did before if that's appropriate) I don't know how often or even if I need to.
Basically this is the long winded way of saying please teach me oh wise ones the ways of proper pipe care.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I wipe the bowl after every smoke with paper towels till it's clean and the towel no longer comes soiled. I run pipe cleaners through both stummel and stem, and then wash the stem with lukewarm water and dish soap. Put it back in the pipe when it's dry. A clean pipe is a happy pipe.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
[good pipe shop here in Phoenix (Ye Old Pipe].
Warren’s right for sure. Ye Olde is a great source. I’ve visited pipe shops all around the last two years. I’ve not found any pipe shop that has the inventory and choices we are lucky to have with them. I’m sure they are out there, not disparaging any other shops, I just haven’t visited one yet.
Good luck.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
please teach me oh wise ones the ways of proper pipe care
I suggest searching on the forum for a thread by jpmcwjr on using the water rinse method for cleaning pipes. It's completely changed the way I keep my pipes good smoking. It's easy, it's fast and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.