PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Hi,
So I purchased a new Falcon pipe with a smooth Istanbul bowl, it smokes quite well and have been breaking in nicely, and creating a beautiful even cake.. I mainly use it for aromatics, because it can smoke for around 90 minutes.. However, I have noticed that the bowl exterior is darkening and losing its shine. I am not sure if that's a problem or not. But I'd like some guidelines on that.
Thanks,

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
It isn't a problem except for the fact that maybe you prefer your pipes shiny. There are various ways to restore that shine. "Nose oil" (yes, its the oil from your nose, and face) works. There are various other pipe polishes available at retail as well. Carnuba wax with a wheel is what I use but the first two options are less expensive.
Mike S.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, Thanks for the answer.. That's a relief :D .. I don't mind much about the shine, and actually prefer matte colours, I just thought I did something wrong while breaking it in. However, if hand oils are doing the trick.. I guess touching the bowl more while smoking can bring it back if I want.
Cheers,

Ahmad

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Yep, this is totally normal. You can buff it gently with just about anything (paper towel, pipe sock, etc) to restore a little luster after smoking. Occasionally a bit of ash can dull the shine a bit too.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just dig in with a finger nail, smear it on the bowl and let it sit for 20 min.
It doesn't take much and it shines right up. After that all I need is a quick buff and the shine returns. It seems to last maybe 6 months?

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Thanks all for the feedback..I will try to find that wax. However, In case I didn't, would Dettol wipes or baby wipes do the trick?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jefff

I just dig in with a finger nail, smear it [carnauba wax] on the bowl and let it sit for 20 min.
It doesn't take much and it shines right up. After that all I need is a quick buff and the shine returns. It seems to last maybe 6 months?
Hmmm. My chunk of wax is much to hard to do that. OTOH, Paragon wax will do just that. Are you sure it's pure carnauba?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Personally, I wouldn't recommend purchasing a bar of pure carnauba wax as it's extremely hard and only meant to be used if you have a buffing wheel which will properly soften it up when applied to give the proper finish. Also, don't use any paste wax that has carauba wax as it contains solvents which will damage the finish on the pipe. Either use Paragon wax as suggested by jpmcwjr, or just simply don't be bothered by a dull patina finish.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
It's pure. It's not easy but I don't need much and the heat from my fingers warmed it up enough to spread.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a proponent of mostly just using a polishing cloth, either a jewelers cloth or a bandana. You can use a little wax, but that gets into residue or attracting dust. I don't want to burnish a pipe up to a new pipe shine every time. Some signs of use are good, to my perspective. It's the exertion of shining them up that keeps them looking good at their age.

Status
Not open for further replies.