PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
Im just wondering how many people on here have bought a new pipe and been disapointed with a cheap bag to hold the pipe in.Ive had some cheap pipes with some pretty descent pipe bags.Im just wondering whats the nicest pipe bag you have had with a new pipe and the worst and do pipe companys atually put thought into this.And ive noticed some dont even put pipe bags in anymore.I Know a lot of you probebly dont think its that important but i like a pipe bag when i buy a descent pipe.as i use seal up plastic bags for my tobbaco i use also a bag for my pipe.Pipe and tobbacco cases just dont last me whats your thoughts.The last time i got a peterson i got a small crappy green bag to hold it in :puffpipe:

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
I bought my Savinelli. Guess what they gave me to put it in.......... a brown paper bag. :evil:

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Bought several 175$ plus pipes, came with cheap non protective bag. Bought a no name briar it came with a leather satchel .pipe stores that sell estate pipesmay carry nicer bags just ask.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
The bags I have received ranged from very nice to cheap to non-existent.
If you know someone who sews, I suppose it wouldn't take much skill to make some nice ones.
Edit - I'm a bag expert. You can read my other comments on bags here.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
In my retail experience you can spend $800 on an item and it will get packed up very nicely, and even gift wrapped for you. But It comes in a box that costs less than a dollar. :rolf:
On the other hand I bought a watch for my wife for $115 over the holidays and got free overnight shipping and it came in a decorative tin. All for $115 plus tax.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I got a Grabow Freehand that had a Tartan bag with it that doubles as a Tobacco pouch, not bad for a pipe I picked up new for a really low price.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I too baught a petersen and it came with a crappy green bag. If it had not been packed in a shipping box it would have been trashed. The box was in very sad shape once received. I have learned my lesson and got a pipe/ tobacco combination bag for each of my pipes since I dedicate one kind of tobacco for each pipe. :puffpipe:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
But you do store the tobacco in jars normally? I think it might dry out if left in a bag all the time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I enjoy getting a nice bag with a pipe. I really don't use them, but just like to have them if that makes any sense. SmokingPipes includes their own bag with estate pipes that don't have the factory bag. It is a decent bag and I use it when I take a trip, even though the pipes are in two-pipes Pete carry.
I have two Upshalls that didn't come with bags and one that did. That Upshall bag is probably the nicest of the bunch. A Tinksy bag is also of a decent quality. Now that I think about it, my Ferndown bag is also really nice, velvet with gold lettering.
But, this Comoys bag, from the mid 80's is probably the most handsome I've seen (sold pipe..)

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
Yes it looks like a tobbacco pipe bag problem ive had is they dont last a long time with me the press stub type especially with tobbacco thats wet in them.Some really interesting points here.Like the 80 pipes did have some nice bags.And there seemed to be more thought gone into them.spartan raises a great point gift wrapped nice but a cheap one dollar box.FOR 800 DOLLARS you would think at least some kind of bag.Al says he likes a bag im with him i think its just nice to recieved a half descent bag with your new pipe.Tobakonist got a pretty cool tarten.bag with his.My thoughts are if i go to order from a tobbaconist tobbacco theres usually a sample of tobbacco in or pipe cleaners or some type of gift there.My friend got a mr brog but he got with his a bag for the pipe and a reamer in a leather pouch.At mr brogs prices it shows.At least theres some thought gone into there product and very reasonable prices cheap infact.Then theres savanelli that come in half descent bags and none at all.I would love to see a review on these pipe companys.like was said before a watch comes presented nicely.And yes some of us havent even seen a pipe bag just bubble wrap

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Royal Crown whiskey bags work great not just for pipes but also saftey glasses ect ect ect,I get mine for free from the bartender at our local club.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I get all of my bags from this guy.
http://whitewoodleather.com/
anthony

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
@ juni-I use a cotton tobacco button its incased in alluminum with a couple holes in each side. you dip it in water and keep it in the bottom of the bag. they have a gel one also. like a tiny humidor.
The bags are usually line with sergical rubber to help with the moisture escaping and the button keeps the tobacco nice and moist. i also will dip it in bourbon or whiskey if the tobacco has that flavor.
Of coarse i go through about 2 ounces of tobacco in a week of my every day blend so it doesnt dry out as fast as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.