PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Hey fellow pipe aficionados! I have been mulling something over in my head for a while and thought I'd share the idea. I have been keeping a pipe tobacco journal with me and while I do enjoy the physical aspect of putting pen on paper sometimes it can be difficult when out and about. The idea of an app on a smart phone I believe could substitute this hassle. I'm unsure if I can create a poll on this forum but would you download an app about pipe tobacco?
I am thinking the app could include the following:

A database of reviews from fellow pipe smokers for every blend

A personal tasting journal for each tobacco you have tried. Could be made public

A wish list of to try tobaccos

A guide to pipe smoking for beginners

A history or pipe smoking

History or characteristics of individual types of tobacco leaf

Links to websites that sell tobacco

Possibly a map of brick and mortar shops near you
Let me know what you think!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds interesting but not for me. The only thing my phone gets used for is pipe forum chat and ordering things online.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Great idea. I use one now code pioe notebook. It only records what I have in the cellar. No amounts or notes. I'd enjoy a better app

I had a really good APP that I used to keep records of what was in my cellar called Pipe Tool. But, then the developers just stopped updating it a few years ago. I think that having too many options to review or share stuff publicly is a turn off for a lot of us. The current web-based site that a lot of guys are using isn't for me either. I really don't want people to know exactly what I have. Nor, do I give a flip about making reviews. I barely ever even look at reviews.
What I did like about the Pipe Tool was that it was simple, easy to use. And, it let me keep up with what was in the cellar, what was in current rotation, and how long my stash would last. Getting too fancy with lots of options is a turn off for a lot of the older users. My suggestion is to keep it simple. We already have tobaccoreviews.com for those who like those things. I imagine it would be hard top compete with them.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I would use an app if it's simple. Something where I could scan the barcode on a tin (not all tins have barcodes)

or type in the blend. I could then put that tin in my cellar/inventory and I could rate it 1-5 stars for my own personal reference. Then I could click on "my cellar" and it would provide me with my list of blends with my ratings. I like the wishlist/want to try idea also. I use an app now, MyFitnessPal, that I can scan the barcode and it gives all the nutritional values of the food product.
I would not be interested in the history of pipe smoking or other smokers reviews on the app.
The features I would want: Barcode, Cellar/Inventory, My personal Ratings, Wish list...simple.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Yeah, it would need to be simple to use, but able to be customized through hidden menus so that you could really be detailed if you wanted to.
I use Evernote for all my pipe journal needs. I created custom spreadsheets with the info that I wanted to keep track of and it syncs across my home computer and my phone when I'm on the go. It's not without its limitations, but I find its the best method for keeping a tidy account of my hobby/obsession.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Personally, I have no use for it, but others might. We had a member here who launched a similar app a couple of years ago. It created a bit of a stink because he used reviews from tobaccoreviews.com, which is copyrighted material, without permission, and was faced with a lawsuit. There was some other unpleasantness that developed as well. He's long gone from PM.

Sounds like a great idea of you want to do a pile of work for no financial gain. Me? I like the mystery of it all.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Well, I really don't like apps to begin with. I don't understand why if there's a website and a mobile website why I need the app for said websites in order to get the best experience. And there was a time, in the late 90s and early 2000s, that i fealt if something could be done on on a computer, this was before smart phones, it should be done that way. Why waste paper and ink when I can do it electronically and have it forever more or less. However now I've done a 180 and feel if it can be done without a computer or smart phone then why not go old school. And I realise that this is somewhat of a trend but I'm not trying to fit a description, just doing what feels right.

Also pipe smoking goes very well I think with nice paper and fountain pens. Pens and pipes make a nice duo.

Now if I had to use a smart phone for my notes I would just use a note pad app. And as was said there's established review sites that meet most smokers needs.

I suggest that if you want to make a successful app do the same thing but for cigars. You'd have a bigger pool of people that are also more pro tech.
POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # EDIT

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I have used P&T Foundations for years and love it. It does some of those things you list as well as allow you to keep a complete pipe, tobacco, accessory, and other inventory. I was very disappointed when they discontinued support for it. It is still use-able however the web feature is no longer functional.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I simply have a written (pen and notebook) record of all tobacco purchased and cellared and that's all I need.
Tasting notes? Surely that's what your memory is for. Other folk's tobacco reviews? I can read those online anytime. Map of nearest B&M outlets? Again, stored in memory.
It seems these days everyone seeks out an 'app' for every aspect of their lives which I personally find a little sad.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I really don't like apps to begin with. I don't understand why if there's a website and a mobile website why I need the app for said websites in order to get the best experience
You don't need any of the above, but an app allows for offline use. (not all of them, of course, but it can be build to store info locally) I don't need no stinkin' apps! Though kudos to those who are into them and maintain them.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I like the app idea for keeping track of my cellar easier and I having my own reviews ready and available on the fly

Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
mawnansmiff while 'apps' are not for everyone for a lot of people especially this newer generation it is a staple. Obviously you are aware of brick and mortar shops near you but when you travel are you? I travel frequently and was unaware of a tobacco shop in Missouri that has a good selection; this app could alleviate this issue. In regards to the tasting notes you must have a far better memory than I. In many aspects of my life I have found that my tastes develop and change over time. Take scotch for example I started a journal and looked back when I first started and what I wrote down when I first started was far different than I experience today. This progression I find very amusing and love this aspect of my hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.