PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
There was a link above that shows results. Here it is again:

Results
Interesting, even if only to spur discussion on the forum.
Things like this are probably harder to put together than it looks. That said I'd note that this would be skewed toward pipe smokers who go online and use forums. I think it is possible that a large part of the pipe smoking population is excluded.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
When do we get our grades?
OK, on the serious side, I thought some of the questions/answers weren't could have been better. For example, I have a number of preferred pipe brands but was asked only to name one. Similarly, I was only allowed to select one preferred stem shape. The question about preferred blend types forced me to choose between 'occasionally" and "most of the time" which made things difficult given that I smoke English, straight VA and VA-based blends with about equal frequency (meaning I some them something between occasionally and most of the time). Similar comment on the question of preferred tobacco cuts.
One question that wasn't asked that I would like to see the answer to is, "When you smoke a pipe, do you inhale, retrohale and/or puff"? Answer choices: Never / Occasionally / Most of the time / All of the time.
Anyway, those are my thoughts.

wbradk

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Very interesting. As for the pipe club question, my problem--and I imagine that this is true for many--is that there are no clubs locally, at least that I am aware of.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I was an avid pipe smoker for years before I discovered that there were two different pipe clubs in my area that I had no idea existed. Granted, I live in a fairly large metropolitan area so there are plenty of people and in close proximity and those are two factors that make it easier to form a club. By contrast, people in more rural areas are less likely to find birds of a feather in that regard. All that is to say, I think there is more that pipe clubs could do to make their presence known to the outside world (if increasing membership is their goal).

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Completed. I was surprised to see the percentage of pipes in the $400-$500 range

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
If we've already submitted our responses, which I did the other day, is there a way to see the current stats without answering all the questions again (which would obviously skew the results)?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Did it ask for marital status? I don't think so. Nor did it ask for the country/state that you live it. And absolutely nothing about your herring preferences (pickled, wine sauce, sour cream, etc.). No questions about facial hair, personal hygiene or firearm ownership, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.