PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Looks like we’re fairly evenly divided amongst the political map (or, we were when I saw the results).
Not pulling the conversation there, only to say this is a good thing. Our love of pipe smoking gives us some common ground... which we definitely need these days.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Completed...Some interesting results but overall, for me, I didn't see any real surprises; especially on the demographic side. The one surprise I did see and it's already been mentioned, was the amount of tobacco smokers have stored away. I think a parallel can be drawn between tobacco products, firearms and to some degree alcohol here. It's almost assured that any governmental intrusiveness will almost always cause sales of the target of regulation to increase and cause people to hord said targeted product. Not to derail this thread but what does that say about us as a group or as a society in general and how we view or feel about our government's continual hunger for control and power?

It's almost assured that any governmental intrusiveness will almost always cause sales of the target of regulation to increase and cause people to hord said targeted product.

That is a HUGE assumption. Most of us on the forums have been cellaring tobaccos since way before the FDA got involved. It only makes sense, and almost all forms of media involved with pipesmoking have been advocating aged blends since as far back as I can remember. Aging for flavor, setting back blends before they go defunct... there are many other reasons to cellar.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Looks like we’re fairly evenly divided amongst the political map (or, we were when I saw the results).
That was one question I could not answer...because the response choices were strictly two dimensional along the standard left/right axis.
I cannot locate myself on that line...or relate to it or identify with it.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
"That is a HUGE assumption. Most of us on the forums have been cellaring tobaccos since way before the FDA got involved."
Okay, that may be very true, the cellaring and aging of tobacco is like the aging and storage of fine wine but "panic buying" is a real phenomenon. It crosses all boundaries of consumer goods. You see it historically in markets sales of anything from gasoline to toilet paper. It is almost a natural and predictable human behavior when the availability or security of a product is threatened either by outside forces such as government regulation or market upset. I do not believe that pipe smokers are any different than any other consumer. Human behavior in this respect, is rather typical. Sorry if this sounds cynical or critical of the community no offense was meant, but historically outside threats to market goods have elicited a panic reaction and it stands to reason that some would choose to hoard their favorite pipe tobacco out of fear of either price hikes or lack of availability.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I find anonymous and online far too sketchy especially concerning my tobacco usage in this era. Going to have to pass.

Sorry, wulf, you are correct, to a degree. I am sure many have started hoarding based on fear. But, the political assumptions that you tie these too...

how we view or feel about our government's continual hunger for control and power?

...is a stretch when most of us that have kept up with all of this keep in mind that this was/is a power play by the corporate cigarette companies. This wasn't all just someone in government setting at a desk wanting more power, as you play it. This was a corporate business decision to monopolize a product. A corporation gaming the system...
Other than that, most of us in the forum had cellars for much different reasons.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
According to the survey, the majority of us are:
Over 60, been smoking a pipe for under 5 years, started out of curiosity, own between 21 and 50 pipes, prefer Savinelli, are both a collector and smoker, and smoke all your pipes.
You spent between $100 and $200 for your most expensive pipe, but spend $51 to $100 on average. You don't care what finish it has, what the stem is, or where it comes from, but it has to be briar. You prefer standard medium size pipes, and don't own a multichambered pipe. You smoke several times a week and have some estates. Your smoke lasts between half and one hour. You dedicate pipes and primarily smoke by yourself at home, and never at work, usually with coffee or tea.
You've also never been to a pipe show.
Sounds like we are a fun bunch! :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I find anonymous and online far too sketchy especially concerning my tobacco usage in this era. Going to have to pass.
True...but I don't think stating your tobacco usage on this forum is really any different.
This wasn't all just someone in government setting at a desk wanting more power, as you play it. This was a corporate business decision to monopolize a product. A corporation gaming the system...
Yes, but a corporation cannot "game the system" in this manner without system collaboration.
Taking a position on whether it was a government or corporate thing misses the bigger picture, imo. There has long been a revolving door between the regulatory agencies and the big corporate boardrooms.
Generally speaking, the left supports government regulation and the right supports big business. They are both (for the most part) supporting the same thing, imo.
I would only add that (imo) it is not ultimately about monopolizing the tobacco/vaping market. It may be that in the short term, but in the longer term it's only about control and social engineering...which originates at a level above both the government and corporate sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.