PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Oohh, I love graphs and statistics. This was intriguing. Thanks for putting this together.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I found the cumulative results (so far) about pipe clubs and pipe shows to be particularly interesting. I am in two different pipe clubs that are both basically comprised of the same small group of pipe smokers and I am sometimes discouraged that our numbers never grow. This survey shows me that there are a lot of smokers out there that haven't joined clubs which is a bummer. But the silver lining is that with better outreach, there is a community out there that might still join a pipe club if there was one near them.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Interesting survey, on a couple of questions it wouldn't let me select the response I wanted, namely burley blends - occasionally, and rope tobacco - never. I wish the questions on other forms of smoking were worded differently with more options. E.g. how often do you smoke cigarettes? Frequently, occasionally, never.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I didn't expect the (current) majority of participants to have >20 lbs. of tobacco stored for some reason.
Thought it makes complete sense given the current nanny state climate.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Very interesting results. Not many surprises. For me it brings up more questions such as...are there pipe clubs in your area but you chose not to join?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mike, thank you for taking the time to think this out and to set it up.
While surveys can be entertaining, the results are only as good as the sample set. This survey will not reach most pipe smokers. At best, it is a survey of people who take part in online pipe groups that chose to respond to an online survey.
That said, it will be interesting to see more expansive interpretations of the data.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are results there now, though the sample size is under 100.
What in fact is the intended - or hoped for- number of participants?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So far about 347 responses. The only real surprise was the percentage that reported themselves as new smokers. But then again, if this survey is primarily dependent on fora and other social media for respondents, I shouldn't be that surprised. Likewise, the distribution over the size of collections was also interesting. When it gets to a few thousand respondents the results may be significant of something. I just don't know what. Still, it was fun and interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.