PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
The Pipe: Peterson St. Patty's Day 2013

The Tobacco: Hearth And Home Mohawk River

The Movie: Quigley Down Under
I love westerns. Especially newer westerns, by which I mean westerns made after the 1970's. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the movie. Tom Selleck plays an American sharp shooter answering a job to hunt dingos on an Australian land barons land in the 1860's. The land baron's motives of course are something entirely different. Although the movie takes place in Australia, it is still very much a western. Only instead of Commanches or Appaches you see aboriginies. And instead of roaming buffalo, you'll see kangaroos. Most of the acting is good, the story keeps you interested, and the music by the late great Basil Poledouris puts you right into the western mood. He was good at that, I think, regardless of the gender of film. Remember... he did the scores for Conan The Barbarian (Ahhhnold version), The Hunt for Red October, Lonesome Dove, Starship Troopers... he made any genre of movie sound good. I haven't watched this movie in years, so it was great to sit back and enjoy it again for the first time while puffing on my Peterson.
I was smoking Hearth and Home's Mohawk River. I have stated recently that this tobacco was giving me fits. Despite drying time, I could not get this stuff to stay lit. It's a great smelling tobacco, and I enjoy aros from time to time almost as much as my beloved Black House, or new friend Blue Mountain. But I could have added gasoline to the stuff and it wouldn't have burned. My Peterson seems to be my best smoker, and if anything was going to keep the embers burning, it would have to be that pipe. So I gave it a whirl... or a swirl rather. I used the "Swirl" method to load this stuff up, and although I did have to relight a few time, a couple times being my own fault for putting the pipe down, I was able to get a pretty descent smoke out of it. In fact, once it really got going, I smoked it all the way to the bottom to mostly ash, no bite, and my place smells wonderful now. I may have to load another bowl, and watch another movie.
Oh... I forgot to mention. You do see one character smoking a pipe on a couple occasions.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Can't count the times I've seen parts of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Yesterday was the first time I actually watched the ending and I'll be - there's a Fed smoking a straight billard telling Indy that, "they'll take it from here."

Status
Not open for further replies.