Pipe Affection vs The New Nicotine Delivery Mechanisms.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
whereas a good pair of leather shoes or boots get repaired, loved, and re-soled again, which is more how many feel about/treat their briar pipes.
I was thinking about that when I wrote my first post. In fact I have a pair of boots getting resoled this Saturday.
I think I understand what your saying about anthropomorphizing warren. I would add that objects do have a history and story of their own. They can be cared for and giving a longer life/existence. I have not yet gotten a pipe from my father but will cherish it when I do. Pipes provide a connection with the artist, the materials and the situations they have previously been smoked at. It may not be anthropomorhizing but it does recognize that inanimate objects have a story of their own, a story we that we can incorporate as part of who we are. A vaping pen does not lead me to many romantic notions or historical musings, if anything it reminds me of the impersonal factory cloned disposable tech that is ever present in our lives.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Vape is to tobacco what a wrench is to a hammer. Two totally different tools that are used differently.
Making denigrating comparisons and statements about items that most here have never touched, much less used, is awfully similar to what angers us about our critics, ie- lumping us is with the cig smokers, etc.
Once again, these vapers are one of our few allies legislatively. No one's asking you to like what they do, or to do it yourself, but to respect their right to do it. Sounds awfully similar to things expressed around here...
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A vaping pen does not lead me to many romantic notions or historical musings
I will always remember with great fondness and appreciation how, after 6 months of vaping, my 10 year blood pressure problem and 2 year bout of angina both dissipated. I could climb stairs without RAM induction again and taste things again.
jay-roger.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I agree that we should respect their choice (I am no fan of "rights," which seems like "privilege - duty," a formula for failure). If they enjoy it, good. I have no desire to interrupt them in what they do.
I have some fears about inhaling the stuff in those vape-machines, but it may not bother those who use them. I also prefer the wood pipe for various reasons, one of which is an objection to the aesthetics of gadgets.
My objection to what our critics do is that they deny the joy of smoking, drinking, warfare, danger, bloodlust, thrill-seeking, art, dissident politics, and probably cake. They are just no-fun bourgeois "safety" and "respectability" runaway virtue signaling loons.
But, I have friends who vape, and it has never bothered me to be around it. Nor do I particularly care what others do so long as it does not unduly damage social order and nature. As far as smoke out in the world, I am much more worried about car/truck exhaust than a few people roasting pens of sugar-water and tobacco.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Once again, these vapers are one of our few allies legislatively.
Vaping is being pushed by more than a few countries as part of their plan to attack tobacco. Phillip Morris has switched from their marketing of cigarettes to focus on vaping. They helped the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act get passed. Vaping is pushed as a transition tool to move away from tobacco, they are not allies.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
My grandfather had a name for guys who wore their hats indoors and at restaurants. "Look at that jackoff," he would say loud enough for the offender to hear. Growing up in the depression era the modern world just looked stupid to him I guess. Now that I am growing older I look at the new way of doing things and scratch my head. Nothing against it, I'm just a crabby, opinionated man.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Kool-Aid/vape-juice: one to maybe ten flavor compounds, standardized & the same every time, made in a factory.

Red wine/tobacco: thousands of variables affecting flavor having their source in genetics, terroir, farming practices, curing and fermenting processes, microorganisms, different every time, made on a farm.
I'm sorry that a statement of fact was taken as so denigrating.

Jan 8, 2013
Phillip Morris has switched from their marketing of cigarettes to focus on vaping. They helped the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act get passed.
Phillip Morris is trying to get into the vaping industry because so many people are quitting cigarettes in favor of vaping. They are simply trying to put an end to all the small businesses that are breaking into their profits. In fact their most recent venture into this isn't with a vaping device at all but with a product that heats tobacco but does not burn it, whereas vaping devices are tobacco free. Regardless this venture has recently been rejected by the FDA. http://time.com/5119302/iqos-cigarette-alternative/

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
From Altria Group 2009 Annual Report Annual Report

In 2009, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was granted regulatory authority over tobacco products. For the past eight years, we advocated for federal regulation that recognizes the serious harm caused by tobacco products, helps ensure tobacco companies do not market tobacco products to children, while also acknowledging that tobacco products are and shouid remain legal for aduits. Altria and its tobacco operating companies are actively participating in the FDA's regulatory implementation process, as we believe that a comprehensive tobacco regulatory framework, thoughtfully implemented, can provide significant benefits to adult tobacco consumers.
Here are two sentences from the book Public Opinion, Public Policy, and Smoking: The Transformation of American Attitudes and Cigarette Use, 1890–2016 by Thomas Marshall

The author explores the history and causes of tobacco legislation. What was found was that only when big tobacco supported change did any significant tobacco legislation pass.
philipmorris2009.jpg

The Phillip Morris Heatbar was already manufactured before 2009

Heatbar

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Guys, this one’s been dancing on the edge, but I wanted to let everyone get their point across...Time to invoke Rule 7-. Discussion of electronic cigarettes, or any other electronic nicotine delivery device is forbidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.