Pipe Affection vs The New Nicotine Delivery Mechanisms.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I’ve developed an affection for my pipes. I got to know their character, how they smoke, what they like and how they prefer to be cleaned.
Picking up my pipe, I am reminded of previous smokes and relaxing times.
I’m sure I’m not alone in this.
Then, yesterday, I sit in a training room and I see the flashy new “vape devices” on the desks of my fellow trainees, and for the life of me I cannot see myself becoming attached to that thing. And this got me wondering. Do you think they are as fond of their vapes as we are of our pipes? Is it just the new generation’s “pipes”, something that allows them the nicotine without transgressing the many laws around the subject?

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I think they would have some fondness for their device. It is probably more like the fondness towards a pair of shoes, once it breaks it goes into the garbage. I think the draw to them is based on a few tactics. The most common method being visibility and association with a cool image, secondarily by claiming it is a healthy alternative. The way I think governments may push for it is as a way to help a person quit cigarettes.

The only benefit I have seen is that some places prohibit smoking not vaping, thereby allowing them to vape in more locations than smokers.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Well, vaping is great for people that are really addicted to cigarettes. You can vape your brains out for a few weeks/months until you've made a significant break with cigarettes. It might help you quit for good.
Vaping got me off cigarettes.
Pipe smoking is just a whole different tempo. The pipe kept me from returning to cigarettes... because I love and missed tobacco.

If you have a love for tobacco, the pipe helps you appreciate it like nothing else. While pipes are a nicotine delivery system... it doesn't seem like many folks here look at their pipe smoking this way.
People who vape but never smoked? I'd compare the electronic cigarette to a fidget spinner in this case.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
One thing I like about the pipe is that it is not a gadget. It is a root, dug up and hollowed out, with a fire burning in it.
I agree with LT that pipes are for those who love tobacco, not merely its effects. They bring the joy back into smoking as opposed to pure functionality.
I mean, I love Nicotine, but if the only delivery method were a patch, I would skip it. All the fun stuff -- fire, smoke, wood, metal -- would be gone.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I would find it hard to have affection for something that often looks like ET's rectal probe. The next person who sees me with my pipe tells me I should give it up in favour of one of these pieces of pig iron because I can get "tobacco flavour e-liquid" is going to get slapped in the face.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I've never vaped but see it a lot anymore in people I work with. Since I've never vaped, I'll have to guess in equating it with cigarettes. Different tobacco delivery gives differing effects to me. Cigarettes are more relaxing, and more of a quick fix. Chew is much more stimulating and, although you are hooked, it is different. It comes up slower and you don't want it *right now* as much. Cigars are a lot like chew to me since I chew on them as well as smoke them. I smoked cigars for years and I didn't want a cigar first thing in the morning, although I wanted one once I had had coffee, eaten, end "settled in" for the day. A pipe is like cigars and dip in that it is slower and more something you take time for, but somewhat more relaxing than chew or cigars.
I think is has to do with absorption in the mucus membranes of your mouth vs in your lungs, and absorption of smoke vs raw tobacco.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
I don't even like the word vape, nor the look of the whole process. I see young people with these contraptions sucking on them in stores like they are being cool and sneaking something. Smoking a pipe looks classy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My least smoked pipe is my most cherished one, my late wife gifted it to me. Other than that, my pipes are simply tools, similar to a book, hammer, contact lenses, cameras, etc. Sometimes the whiff of a blend can evoke a sleeping memory, not the pipe though.
I used to vape on long flights. Lately, I've found that where smoking is prohibited, I never think about a smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It is probably more like the fondness towards a pair of shoes, once it breaks it goes into the garbage.
Well, that would seem to apply to shoes of plastic and rubber. Those are like vaping machines, whereas a good pair of leather shoes or boots get repaired, loved, and re-soled again, which is more how many feel about/treat their briar pipes.
(Always stretching for metaphors- or is it similes?)
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The NYTimes has a story today about how old technologies can be better than new digital smart stuff. Old time wrist watches tell the time better than smart watches, analog alarm clocks often do the job better for various reasons, and so on. Recently, after a maintenance technician visited for a furnace check, we had no heat at all, and another tech came back and found the fancy-dancy programmable thermostat was malfunctioning. I complained bitterly that it had never been easy to use and I got it to work only by fiddling blindly for several rounds (in a too-hot or too cold house) until if finally gave me a constant temperature. The temp change through the day and night never did me a bit of good. So he installed a simple thermostat with a hot or cold function button and arrows to set the temperature. Much better, thank you. I don't want to marry a device, go to school on it as a lifestyle. I like my wristwatch to tell me the time, easily, without a ritual. As the arts adage goes, less is more.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Wait until you are bed ridden and need to turn up/down the thermostat. I can do that and did with my phone. Indeed, less can be more in many instances. In others? More may be better, safer, more convenient.
Nothing like a smart phone, miles away from anywhere, and being able to summon a medevac and other first responders, providing satellite positioning, all the while administering to the injured. The phone is in my pocket and I'm speaking into my watch, both hands free for the work at hand. Some tech is mind boggling. When I get a piece of tech which will make my life less complicated and perhaps safer, and it's frustrating me, I tell myself, "People dumber than me have mastered this." I remind myself that most consumer tech is designed for the masses, the lowest common denominator as it where.
My phone tells me where the sun/moon will be positioned so I can be at a location, set up and waiting for the shot. No need to carry tide books, almanacs, camera manuals, etc. I will admit that it helps to have a tech savvy son or daughter when things really go to crap.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Maybe the same fondness they have for their dumbphones or other gadgets? I agree that it probably appeals to the new generations obsession with wellness: gets them the nicotine rush whilst allowing them to militate against tobacco, that evil leaf. Here is a wonder, though, they exhale gargantuan amounts of smoke, way more than someone smoking a cigarette does.
Never vaped myself. And since I don't want to purposefully inhale smoke, I have no interest in it. Nor do I want to be carrying on me something that spontaneously explodes, as I've been told some of those devices have (yeah, yeah, not the rule, but still). Nor do I want to require batteries to enjoy my toby (well, you don't enjoy toby with those things, actually).
Legally, well, vaping is considered the same as smoking here: can't do the one where you can't do the other. In my building vaping is forbidden, as is "the smoking of any substance".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Old time wrist watches tell the time better than smart watches, analog alarm clocks often do the job better for various reasons, and so on.
For some definitions of better! My iPhone does a ton of stuff, time is accurate to the second, and warren illustrates good points. But, indeed, hi tech is a bitch when it doesn't work.
I use my phone for time and alarm, never a problem with the equipment, just the user ignoring the beeps....

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I smoked cigs for 33 years, vaped for 2.5 years and now have been piping for about 8 months.
I assure you that I felt as fondly for my vape during that time as I do about the billiard currently sticking out of my face.
I won't bore you with the details, but there is a culture and community around vaping that rivals ours here.
Regardless of your opinion of the hardware, just keep this in mind. Vapers are about the only other group on the planet right now that are fighting the deeming regulations as hard as we are. And I suspect there are more of them than there are us.
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Vaping got me off cigarettes.
You and me both, Tango. When nothing else I tried would work. I continue to smoke my pipes, because it's something I enjoy. Vaping was and is a means to get me off the cigarettes and keep me off the cigarettes. And really that's the reason most people are vaping. A good friend of mine owns a vaping shop and I go there to visit and relax after work. So I see it first hand. People aren't going in there to get a device because they want to look cool. Or just because they're young. You have to be 18 to purchase a device or the eliquid. I see people of all walks of life, professions and age groups shopping there: police officers, firefighters, lawyers, doctors, military, burgerflippers, retail employees... you name it. Most customers are actually in their upper 20s and above. I see many if not most customers in their 30s and 40s, and they range up to the elderly. A cool device is just an added bonus. It can be pricey getting started, with the purchase of a device etc. But all in all I'm spending far less than when I was buying sometimes two or more packs of cigarettes in a day. So money saved for pipes and pipe tobacco. Something else not understood by the pipes and cigars community is that vaping is dealing with the same deeming regulations being imposed by the FDA. If anything, the tobacco industry and vaping industry should be standing together in that fight as opposed to fighting each other.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
How does one exhale smoke when they are inhaling a vapor? Is there some combustion taking place internally?
Check your briers, meers and cobs. I believe they are all inert, no life at all, dead wood, mineral and dead corn cobs. Some people think they are "feeding" wood when that wax a pipe, table, or book shelf. Can't feed dead stuff. I know people tend to anthropomorphize things, don't understand why. People name their cars, guns, my daughter felt the need to name the bread maker when she was a lass. :D I don't understand it. Perhaps I'm not as whimsical as I thought I was.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
And I suspect there are more of them than there are us.
Let's see if we can get them to convert over.
When 100,000 pipe smokers march on Washington, I'll know this country is on the path to health again.

Status
Not open for further replies.