PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Well I got me this book: The Ultimate pipe book by R.C.Hacker and I am half way through it. I find it very informative, interesting and helpful.

I wanted to know do you good people of this forum have more recommendation about books on the subject of pipes?

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I had the same question when I first joined the forum and got some good responses:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/recommended-reading-for-novice-pipe-smokers

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Confessions of a Pipeman by Gary Schrier and the Ultimate Pipe Book by Richard Hacker are two of my favorites. I will also recommend Stokkebye: The Life and Good Times of a Tobacco Man, pretty much a biography of Peter Stokkbye.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The Book of Pipes and Tobacco by Carl Ehwa. Probably one of the best books out there on tobaccos. He was also the founder of McCelland with Mary.
Another good one and a bit expensive is Pipes Artisans and Trademarks by Jose Manuel Lopes. Pretty much a dictionary of pipe makers and brands in alphabetical order.
Hacker has another book called Rare Smoke.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 on Lopes and Ehwa
Some other highly regarded books:
The Dunhill Briar Pipe - the patent years and after John C Loring also other Dunhill related publications

The Pipe by Geroges Herment

The Pipe Book by William Goldring

Pfeife rauchen Heiko Behrens and Holger Erickert

Pipes: Weber's Guide To Pipes and Pipe Smoking by Carl Weber

The Pipe Companion by David Wright

Pipe: The Art and Lore of a Great Tradition by Robin Crole
and there are books on tobacco, and tobacco smoking, etc.
Hacker did pioneering work, but be aware that much of his information is dated and incorrect. There is much more accurate information to be found on sites like Pipedia and Pipephil as well as later books by others. Hacker's info on Barlings is mixed at best. Still, he's an indispensable read for a general introduction. Just take the particulars with a small mountain of salt.
If you're a serious student of Dunhills and have not read Loring's books, you're not a serious student of Dunhills.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
@condorlover1: You are right. Got mixed up and for some reason could not edit
@all the other: thank you all. I'll know what to look for now.

May 31, 2012
If you're a serious student of Dunhills and have not read Loring's books, you're not a serious student of Dunhills.
Great quote!
And,

...also other Dunhill related publications
I was lucky to score a copy of The Dunhill Briar Pipe - the patent years and after for $15 B-i-N, but as for the other stuff, I've only seen the catalog reprints come up on a couple of occasions and they went totally astronomical --- I wish these could be photocopied and in wider circulation!
DenStuff019.jpg

DenStuff020.jpg

DenStuff025.jpg

DenStuff024.jpg

PS

I hesitated on the Lopes book when it was more easily available, had an oppo to get one at the msrp $75 but did not --- y'all are making me regret that decision!

Is it really worth seeking out?

:?:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Lower your are indeed lucky to have the set of Loring's catalogs, I passed on them when they were new because of the price. Oh well I will get them sometime.

LPI put out Dunhill catalog years before Loring. It's pretty crude but has done the job for me. One of the the best paper purchases I ever made was a bound set of PCCA's The Smokers Pipeline. It's a fascinating and sometimes desperate read of the hobby in the pre internet 80's and early 90's. You can never go wrong with The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris. It a great history of the hobby from pretty much the beginning of pipe collecting as a hobby to Tom Dunn's death. Thanks to the Ultimate Pipe Book's listing for The Ephemeris that turned me onto the hobby and pipe shows in a pre internet world. Finding a copy of The Ephemeris in the mail was like a child on Xmas morning. A couple of other must have Dunhill books that haven't been mentioned but that I can highly recommend are Balfour's AD One Hundred Years and More and Mary Dunhill's Our Family Business. 8O

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The Illustrated History Of The Pipe by Alexis Liebaert and Alain Maya.
My wife got me this book for my birthday and it is really well put together, beautiful collection of photos and lots of info in between

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I should mention that your best resource for pipe related books is Ben Rapaport's Antiquarian Tobacciana Catalog.

PM me your email and I will forward a copy of the email that has the Fall 2014 catalog PDF to download. 8O

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hacker actually saved me. I had been smoking a pipe off and on for about a year and was ready to give it up when I checked his book out of our local library. It really opened my eyes to better pipes and tobaccos plus taught me the three stage packing technique. Its been down hill ever since. :lol:
Another good one for a specific pipe brand is Bill Ungers' The Custom-Bilt Pipe Story published by NASPC press.

May 31, 2012
Dave,

sadly those aren't mine,

they belong to Dock J. Perry and his amazing library!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/an-incredible-library-of-pipe-amp-tobacco-books
He has the most incredible tobacciana library I've seen!

8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Still ... I had a fascinating few minutes stretching my brain to visualize how a pipe could be about books.

I visualized a pipe bowl carved with a bookshelf full of tiny books, for starters. Or a pipe somehow designed

from pipe references in various books. A poet I once knew told me to consider every wacky typographical

error a gift and go from there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That IS an amazing library! The one item pictured that I would like to own is the Loring book of catalogs. I have a number of other items but didn't list them as they're going to be very difficult if not impossible, to find.
A wonderful read is Half A Century With Tobacco by Morton R. Edwin, which has been reprinted, and which provides a fascinating look at the American tobacco industry from the 1880's thru the 1930's by one of its major players.
The Ephemeris is fun to flip through, though it's largely a pre-internet pipe forum. Catalogs and pipe mags are also good ways to learn about pipes, etc.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
No recommendations, but I've just come off the Iwan Ries website and there are about a dozen books there for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.