PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
So I see leather wrapped pipes from time to time. I've always passed on them. Was there a trend of leather wrapping at some point? Are they worth any more or less? Are they the curb feelers of the pipe world? Do they tend to be good smokers (brand bias is permitted here). Basically what is the general consensus and collectibility of these pipes.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The leather wrapped pipes gained favor with GI's returning from WW II France. Generally, it is felt that the leather covered up briar that was sub par for regular staining. I always though that they looked pretty cool. Also, the leather does take on a patina from smoking over the years.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The makers' stamps are probably always on the skin, not the wood.

tarzan4.jpg

tarzan2.jpg

tarzan7.jpg

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I think they look nifty. If I ever see one I like for a price I like I plan to snatch one up. My wife does a little leather working and I keep thinking should could probably do some nice tooling on one of those.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
They feel great in the hand, like blasts do too. That's a big plus for me.
Plugugly

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i still smoke my leather pipe from the 60's - then i smoked only erinmore in it & still do..

the leather is a very dark brown & the stitching has opened but the leather is so saturated with oils it is well shaped & will not peal off.

mine is similar to the one below the yellow 2nd row.

i bought a newer model unsmoked from a pipe site - terrible. -

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have an old Whitehall Leather. It's stamped Whitehall Leather on one side and imported Briar Italy on the other. It has has a white "W" on the stem. Its a very rich dark brown leather now.

I smoke it occasionally and it smokes good.

critter

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
I have a Derby Pigskin pipe that I picked up at an antique mall here in Ohio. I find that it's a pipe I reach for a lot, even though it's not a bent pipe. I really don't own a lot besides bent pipes. It sees more action than a lot of my other pipes just because it's so comfortable to smoke.
You can pick them up on ebay from time to time but it's hard to find one that is in good shape. I think they were more than likely cheaper pipes when they were made, and so they were used more as a knock around pipe than the prize of someone's collection.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have a Savinelli Cricket pipe that I smoke on a regular basis. I've had it for almost 6 years, and it has held up well. I also have an older Longchamp made in France, but it needs a new stem. I wouldn't expect a pipe company to cover a nicely grained pipe in leather, but I think the briar used is good enough for the intended purpose.

Here is the 5 year review of my Savinelli I posted 3 months ago.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/5-year-update

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
I have a little leather clad Jeantet billiard that I smoke Christmas Cheer in, that is just fantastic. I paid around $40 for it unsmoked. I am guessing that it was manufactured during the 60's, maybe 70's. Also, the stem work on the pipe is really sweet considering it is a factory pipe.
Having said that, leather clad pipes do have the potential to be putty babies. There could also be the potential for green wood which hasn't been aged properly, if the manufacturer was ethically challenged. I suppose the brand and era that the pipe was manufactured could be good indicators of quality.
Having said that, I have always been strangely drawn to these sub standard pipes. I suppose it is because they represent a bygone era, similar to art deco styled pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the ones where the stitching shows and the leather is all of one color; I think I like light brown best. But I've never bought one. I like the way briar wears. It seems more permanent. A leather wrapped pipe is alike a car with one of those Landau roofs, attractive but seemingly tending toward peeling off over time. I assume the leather provides a little insulation and is probably warmer to the touch on colder days. I would have guessed the height of popularity as the late fifties, but I guess it varies from one place to another. In the Chicago area, I think they were big on the commuters' platform from about '58 to maybe '65, or a little later. I have a remote memory that my Uncle Roger had one, among a number of pipes. My dad only smoked briars and would have fumed about a leather-wrapped pipe being fussy if asked about it for himself. bonehed, that's a great Silver Match, unsmoked no less.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Thanks - looks like decent wood and the stem is very comfortable. Not unpleased at all, considering the lesser known brand.

Still haven't given it the fire test... so it may be crap. Looks OK though... IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.