Picked up six estates today

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
Picked these up today, separate auctions all but one under $10. Two of the bulldogs are unsmoked, until this evening, and the slim billiard might have had a couple of bowls through it.The names are unfamiliar to me, Pickwick Arms, London Royal, Bentley, Earl of Essex and Olde London. No great treasures but all should be good smokers.

dmcmtk

Preferred Member
Aug 23, 2013
Which one is the billiard at lower right, and does it have a shape number or any other markings by any chance?

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
Bottom right is marked Earl of Essex, other side says Algerian Briar France. The band is marked 12KT GOLD.... Something else but I can't make it out.

dmcmtk

Preferred Member
Aug 23, 2013
Looks like a nice stout billiard, esp. for the price. What I was curious about was if it was marked with a shape number, 342. It was just a hunch.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
I can't see any numbers, it's had a rough life but it'll make a great smoker and I don't have to worry about nicks or dings, it's already done for me.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Nice haul. You can turn up some sublime smokers for not much outlay. Hope these are the ones!

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
I've only smoked one of the unsmoked so far, after a good cleaning today I'm pretty stoked, I'll have to work through them this weekend.I've got a Peterson bulldog and two of the Bruyere St Claudes coming this week so I'll be busy.

maxx

Preferred Member
Apr 10, 2015
Someone posted this link recently that gives names of seconds.

http://www.pipes.org/wp-content/uploads/Articles/Seconds.html

Pickwick is on there as Sasieni.

davet

Preferred Member
May 9, 2015
The Pickwick's a nice one, a couple of small fills. It was unsmoked until yesterday, a good smoker especially for the money.