Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I am so old-school! I didn't know people could even do that. If I take a film photo, I digitize the negatives or with digital camera, upload all into my computer for further post-processing. It all stays there. If I share a picture with anyone, it is usually directly via email. I'm anything but a Luddite, but I use as little consumer electronics as is possible. Don't even own a cellular phone anymore.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
hbGiA1v.jpg

So, Michael, what happens when you read this post that has a nice photo from Imgur's site. Message? Blank screen with a notice? Nada? Exact wording would be good.
OMG, I see we could have a 75 post thread: Photobucket sucks! No, Imgur sucks!!
Anyway, let's get this wascally wabbit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Me, I think I'll just keep posting pictures to the album here as needed. It is a real PITA to me to use any of these photo-hosting sites--- I'm used to email based forums such as Yahoogroups where I can upload pictures to their central files or just attach them to the message.
I'm a bit the opposite; uploading to the site still takes me longer than to Imgur or Postimage. Then linking is still the same. And our site has a limit on size, which doesn't matter for most pix, but some benefit from more pixels.
This is a way to add photos to your post:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site such as Imgur.com, select the image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste the URL into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread.
Here's a way to go. Emphasis on a.
If you want to use the site's album (images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size)

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK.

Jun 27, 2016
cabinfever

We...pay $29/year for additional storage space...Photobucket sucks!
That's interesting that you pay and still think that it sucks. Doesn't paying get rid of the pop-ups and re-directs that grind it to a halt? Or do you hate it for some other reason?
Using "Flickr" actually winds up taking me a couple more clicks to get to each link that I need to copy, but there are no pop-ups or re-directs, and everything runs very quickly when I am on there, so I actually save time, and with less agg.

On some of these posts, I just don't see anything, until I click to moderate it, and then when I see that it is an Imjur or google img, I just assume that it is only me that cannot see it (now). Same when someone posts about a pipe that they want to show off, using one of these. I have clicked and meddled with the post to try and help the poster, only to find that it was only me who could not see the posts.
So, now I just moderate the posts that have the broken link symbol. to help their images get seen.
I can see these from my iPad, and when I am on the wifi at The Briary, but 90% of the time I come here I am in my studio working, using city wifi.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
That's interesting that you pay and still think that it sucks. Doesn't paying get rid of the pop-ups and re-directs that grind it to a halt? Or do you hate it for some other reason?
Using "Flickr" actually winds up taking me a couple more clicks to get to each link that I need to copy, but there are no pop-ups or re-directs, and everything runs very quickly when I am on there, so I actually save time, and with less agg.
Paying does get rid of most of the ads and pop-ups. But, I have to log in EVERY TIME I go to Photobucket....which is a pain. You cannot stay logged in. So, when I get to Photobucker and before I log in, I get all the ads and pop-ups anyways.
I also dislike Photobucket because you cannot do a search of your own photos. You can do searchs, but the photos that result from the search are from all Photobucket users.
Even when I'm logged in, Photobucket runs slower than what I think it should.
As soon as I get sometime, I am going to download all our 1000s of photos off of Photobucket to our hard drive. Then, I may upload them to another service or just leave them on the hard drive and use a free service like something like https://postimage.io/ to get a URL for the image I want to share on a forum.

Hmmm, I never have to login to photobucket. I also only get a pop-up once, usually when I start to scroll through the images. But, after I hit the "x" it never send any other pop-up. Yeh, I think your right about being slow. When I snap a picture on my phone, I have to wait like 30-45 seconds before I can take another picture. I am guessing that it is sending the image data.

I don't pay them anything, and I have been using it since I signed up here, 4 years? When I snap a picture using my normal iPhone Zoom Camera app, it immediately loads the image, and directs me to the photobucket app and the image that was just taken. I then click on "direct" and then navigate back to here and load the img.
I have had a couple of guys ask me how I set this up. My daughter did this for me, as with most of the things set up on that magical demonic box, but she says that it is inside the settings. I have gone through three phones since being here, and each time I load my programs onto the phone, the settings all follow me, so that I don't have to reset the settings.
But yeh, in this world of instant websites, 30-45 seconds seems like an eternity, unlike the days when we would send our prints to someone via snail mail after waiting two weeks for the drug store to process them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Michael-
I wonder if being on city wifi is the deal.... There may be a size limitation for downloaded JPEGs. This site's and photobucket's sizes are smaller than Imgur's.
6MXuHLt.jpg

See the above? If not, what message or symbol do you get?

No Jon, I don't see any images in your post. I am certain that it is the wifi, but not sure if it is the image size. I can watch movies in HD, so... I am not technologically sophisticated though.
I think it may have something to do with not seeing P&C also. I think they set something in their website update that makes my city block them now, but I can still see smokingpipes. so, guess who gets my money now.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
@cosmic, I don't have to log into Photobucket to see my photos or get the URLs for the photos. But, if I don't log in, I get continuous ads and videos popping up which slows everything way down.
I pay for Photobucket because the number of photos we have stored there exceeded the storage space they give away for free.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
M-
Can you see this one? It is from this sites album.

Have you tried a different browser? Something is odd. I use Safari, with backup browsers Chrome and Firefox. Not sure what second best one is for Windows.
poseidanrome-600x490.jpg

BTW, this is a selfie I took in Rome when I was lounging around one of the fountains.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
JP, I see all of your pictures and everyone else's just fine. I'm using Firefox 52 on a Mac connected by FIOS IP. Michael, one thing you can do to test your local wifi bandwidth is try reducing the image size down to something like 600 X 400 or something like that. If that goes through and you can see it here then you know what your problem is. That won't change not seeing larger image files by others but it will give you an idea what the problem is.
Another thing you can do is take your laptop somewhere outside your local wifi and try connecting from there.

Toob, if it was just me, that would be one thing, but I have seen several others complain about not being able to see Imjur and google. And, as I said, yes I see it on my iPad, and when I use The Briarys wifi. It is just using public wifi, which I imagine most folks living in cities and towns that offer this would do.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, that's me dressed as Neptune!
Toob- Michael has plenty bandwidth, able to stream HD! And it's fine on another WiFi node that he uses.
Michael- Again, seeing what happens- or not- with another browser could be telling. Also, posting when another cannot see an image could help hone in on the problem.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! Yeah, you need the original Navigator!! :)
I was imagining you use one browser when you're logged in as a Mod, and did not know you have tried the others to test photo-viewability. Have you logged in on another browser not as a Mod after cleaning cache?
I am trying to help, not bug the XXXX out of ya'!

Status
Not open for further replies.