PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I need some help on a tobacco. I was in Munich, Germany in December and visited Pfeifen-Huber. Great store! Picked up a rare Castello opera pipe and also some tobaccos.
62_1.jpg

Here is where I need help. The Pfeifentabak English Scottish blend is WONDERFUL. It is blended by Kohlhase & Kopp. I have already smoked through the entire 100gr tin over the cold winter and it will now forever remind me of my trip to Munich. I want more, but Pfeifen-Huber doesn't ship to the states.
I have read all the posts here and elsewhere about what constitutes a "Scottish Blend". Varying responses. I'm more confused now.
1. Anyone tried this Pfeifentabak blend and know of an alternative I can get in the U.S.? Kohlhase & Kopp makes this blend. It's not reviewed on Tobaccoreviews.com (a few other Pfeifentabak blends are reviewed though).
2. What does "Scottish Blend" mean to you?
3. I here good things about McConnell Scottish Cake (and apparently it's very different from McConnell Scottish Flake?)?
P.S. The Pfeifen Huber - Virginia Golden Flake is AMAZING!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
In follow up, Kohlhase & Kopp also makes Rattray's blends, and I hear (not here, like misspelled above) great things about Rattray's Red Rapparee Scottish blend. Could these be similar? I hope so. I just ordered a tin of rapparee and will let you all know.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Red Rapparee is a lat blend with some sweetness to it. It might qualify as a scottish. Scottish Cake is a va/per with kentucky, that gives it a bold, smoky finish. It is not what I think of as a scottish, based on what I've read on this forum. Both are very good.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I recently smoked through a tin of Scottish Blend from the Mac Baren mixture series and I found it to be rather bland and weak. A definite no repurchase here.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@crashthegrey, thanks for putting the link up. I have that thread copied in my notes already, and it is a very good reference indeed. In fact, that is why I asked the question again above. I'm always interest in people's response to this Scottish blend question. As a scientist at heart, it always bugs me that this is one genre of tobacco that has no accepted definition, and the term is used loosely in blends.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I got a 100Gr tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee to compare with the Pfeifen-Huber English (Scottish). I had a wee bit left thankfully. They are nearly identical, yipee. Slightly more oriental zing on the Red Rap, but it is fresh. Otherwise same blend. I am very pleased to finally try Red Rap after hearing many good things. I bought more!
NGun8o7.jpg

ZS0yNlZ.jpg

BkJEhLy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.