PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayhr

Lurker
May 5, 2019
Good dya everyone, how have you been lately?
Im looking into buying one straight pipe,im not sure should i go with peterson or savinelli? I have a bent kilarney from peterson it smokes great also Churchwarden from savinelli smokes great, but now ive heard that the briar used in savinelli is a better quality.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
It’s personal preference really, I think their factory made pipes of comparable price points are probably about the same quality. Just go with whichever brand/pipe looks the best for your personal taste. I prefer Peterson, but I don’t think they’re really any better than similar Sav’s. I just happen to like the way they look a whole lot more.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Just personal preference I think. Both good pipes.
For what it's worth I've had better drilling on my Savs, particularly on the bent styles, but I have and enjoy both equally.
Style-wise, you have to like the chunky Pete thing and some people don't like that or the rustication either, whereas the styling on the Savs is a different look altogether, but ... like I said, it's mostly a preference thing.
I've got 4-5 of each and I don't have a preference either way. At least not so much that I didn't buy 4-5 of each and I smoke them all happily enough.
As to briar quality? I can't tell from smoking them. I will say that under the Pete rustication there might lurk the ugliest piece of briar the world has ever seen and you wouldn't know the difference, but as a smoking pipe, meh - they both are perfectly fine for me.
Hope that helps a little.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard more complaints about quality control with Petersons. A few members just don't like Savinelli's, but prefer higher end pipes. Savinelli seems a surer bet, but I love my Petes too, as I've been lucky with quality, and my Savs have all been consistently successful. In my experience, you'll be fine with either.

ayhr

Lurker
May 5, 2019
I've had bad experiences with Peterson so my choice would be Savinelli. I think their all around better smokers.
Thats what ive heard, but some petes look better, i think ill go with one each

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm the outlier. I can't stand Savinelli. I've tried. I've owned probably around 40 of them. I've had more problems than I care to illustrate.
I definitely prefer Petersons. I've owned or still own around 70 of them. I've had exactly one dud. I used the drill bit on my reamer to adjust the draft. It's a great smoker.
These type of threads always concern me, because they are subjective.
Why not start a thread with, "I have a blind date tonight, what do I do if she's a brunette vs a blond or a redhead?" Personally, I've had good luck and bad luck with all three. :puffy:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I suppose it does bear mentioning that Peterson seems to have some QC issues, as others have mentioned. I’ve experienced them myself, but still love my Peterson pipes. As I write this I’m smoking my Flame Grain 87 that gurgled like a sumbitch when I first got it. I’ve learned more about pipe smoking since then, I’m currently an hour into a bowl of Irish Flake with zero issues. So take everything with a grain of salt. Learning better drying/packing/cadence can help alleviate a lot of issues that might present themselves. I don’t own nor have I smoked a Savinelli, so I might not be the best person to weigh in on this subject. But I think you’ll be happy with either choice. Have fun buying some more pipes, it’s always exciting to get a new one in the mail!

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Savinelli. I like Petersons' appearance but I had quality issues with their pipes. Despite that, I'm still checking their pipes, they are just beautiful.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Concur that it's all personal preference. I've never had a Pete, but not because I have anything against them. Just never got onto the habit.
Savs on the other hand, I'm the almost exact opposite of ash. I've had 40-50 over the years, from Oscar to Autograph, & have never had a bad one, or even marginal. For my coins they're stellar, & I freely admit a bias in their favor. :)
Bill

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Just to even things out a might and muddy up the OP's decision-making process, I've only owned a couple of Savinelli's but 1/4 of my pipe collection is comprised of Petes. Haven't had a problem with any of them. I prefer the design aesthetic of Peterson, however, with the exception of the Savinelli 320's.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm more a Pete fan than Savinelli, but I do really like some of Savinelli's pipes. There are a few chunkier shapes, most designated KS which would please a Peterson smoker. I've had no major issues with Peterson quality. I'll sing their praises all day every day. But if you were to ask me the best Balkan/English blend smokers I own, I'll tell you my Savinelli 320 KS's every time. Between the two, my advise would be to purchase the pipe that is most appealing to you.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
peterson all the way. just like and enjoy peterson pipes. there are some issues, nothing major, and nothing that i can't work around.

Petes with their fat legs, and Savs with their sleek and sexy just seem like two polar opposites to be comparing, like deciding between a Dodge or a Vespa. You're going to hear those that like sleek. classic shapes tell you their favorites, and those who don't mind smoking broken pipes tell you to buy Petes. :puffy: JK
Buy what you like. Otherwise, you are just stirring the pot, but I think that was what you were doing to begin with, right?
Me? I say buy a real pipe, and leave these cheap pieces of crap alone. :puffy:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I find Perterson's to be undervalued these days as compared to 5-6 years ago. I just purchased this Royal Peterson for well under 100$ yesterday. Pretty good value.
s-l1600.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm late to the party, but ...
Thats what ive heard, but some petes look better, i think ill go with one each

Excellent choice. :puffy:
I like 'em both myself.
I love your "Bipartisan" thinking.

Aaaand the thread gets political. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.