PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are going to purchase a Pete, make sure you ask the retailer to go over with with a fine tooth comb. Any retailer who is any good will check it for you.

My first pipe was a Savinelli and I have always been thankful for that fact. It is a great smoking pipe and it gave me a baseline for all future purchases. When I got a bad pipe I knew it as I could compare it to the Savinelli.

My first Savinelli was a Linea Pui 5 Apple shaped. My first and only Pete was a bent with a p-lip and it was a piece of crap. I purchased the Pete not long after my Savinelli and the difference in smoking quality was very evident.

Another pipe brand you might want to check is the lower end Winslow range of pipes. I hear nothing but great things about them. I used to own a number of Winslow hand made high grades and people say that the lower end lines smoke as nicely.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know ... I can't really decide, I like both my Savinelis and my Petersons. At the end of the day, if I did have to choose, I would go with Peterson simply because I like their shapes better, and I am fool for the silver band; but that doesn't make savineli a worse brand. So yeah .. at the end of the day preference.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Of all the Savinelli's that I have owned (8), only one wouldn't easily pass a pipe cleaner and that was an Oom Paul. I only have 3 Savinelli's left in my collection.
I only have two Pete's in my collection now but only the oldest one - an Kapp-Royal - passes a pipe cleaner. A new Peterson Fermoy bulldog doesn't even come close to taking the pipe cleaner. That being said, I haven't had any issues with it gurgling either. I looked at the Peterson's on display at my local B&M and the drilling was consistently high in them.
So, basically, I'm not helping with this question. I don't own 30 or 40 of each and the ones I do have I smoke good. Savinelli and Peterson both make good pipes for reasonable money.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks. I like Pete's styling. Not a huge fan of the p-lip in general. Doesn't seem to affect the smoke much and it makes it hard to pass a cleaner mid smoke if it's a wet smoker.
I like my good Petes better than my good Savs. Savs are consistent. There are some Petersons that are absolute gurgling dogs.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've never understood the drive to have pipes pass the "pipe cleaner test. My wetter pipes are not Peterson pipes, but have been smoking pipes for in excess of 40 years and, if I find a pipe needs some swabbing before I'm done with it, I simply remove the stem and clean it. Have never had an adverse outcome from doing that.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
For the record, I can't remember if I have ever inserted a pipe cleaner into a pipe as I was smoking it. I just don't like taking a hot pipe apart immediately after smoking it to swab out the airway and the stem. It's just easier to insert the pipe cleaner after smoking to remove any moisture.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
The only time I'd advise not to remove a stem while a pipe is still warm is if the stem still seems tight to twist. Forcing stems whatever the temperature of the pipe is a bad idea and when difficulties can occur, which would be true even for a cool pipe. I have a few pipes like that and, whenever I wish to remove its stem, I first use the freezer treatment.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Have both, love both. I'd give the slight edge to Savinelli if you put a gun to my head. More shape variety and just a more solid feel in the hand. Keeping in mind that I am a total n00b and have next to no idea what the hell I am talking about when it comes to anything at all :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Few generalities hold up in pipe smoking, but unless you have an aversion -- reasoned or emotional -- I'd own at least one of each Savinelli and Peterson -- whatever else you choose over time. If you don't like either one, then never again. I have a number of each, bought over years, always new, and I'm well pleased.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Irish,

I've never understood the drive to have pipes pass the "pipe cleaner test. My wetter pipes are not Peterson pipes, but have been smoking pipes for in excess of 40 years and, if I find a pipe needs some swabbing before I'm done with it, I simply remove the stem and clean it. Have never had an adverse outcome from doing that.
Taking off a stem to swab your pipe is exactly why you would want a pipe cleaner to reach the bottom of your pipe. Taking off a stem that is hot is a dangerous game you are playing. I snapped a stem once early on because I wanted to clean it with a pipe cleaner. Never did that again and never bought another pipe that wouldn't pass a cleaner.
daniel, glad to hear you love your Winslow, never heard anyone say they were disappointed in theirs.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Have had fun with both. Have had problems with both.
Ford/Chevy (afaic).

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
My one Savinelli is the pipe I've owned the longest. My one Peterson was sold after about 2 years of ownership. Although, it might not have had anything to do with the actual quality of the pipe. It was a Aran bulldog gifted to me that I used for English blends back when the Frog Morton's were readily available. I don't smoke English blends anymore and I never cared for the bulldog shape, so off to a better home it went.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The first three pipes I bought (first pipe was a gift Grabow I still have) were a Pete 'zippo' 03, a Stanwell bent dublin, and a Sav Autograph prince. Those three pipes all smoked amazingly well. After that, it was all about aesthetics. each brand has shapes I love. Buy all the pipes! Life is short. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.