PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I picked up a tin of this along with their PPP. Had my first bowl of flake this morning with my cofee and I must say, it is a damn good smoke! I let the flakes dry for about 20mins before I packed up a bowl, then I pulled the flakes appart rather than cube cut or rub. I stuffed into a Brigham Voyager #147 Dublin (tapered bowl perfect for flakes). I lit it with one light and some careful tamping. It stayed lit for the majority of the bowl and had great taste all the way through. Good amount flavour that just kept getting better and better as I puffed along. Had a good amout of Nic as well, so if you're sensitive to Nic take it easy or you will have a heck of a buzz. I've been smoking Amphora Full Aroma (red pack) for the better part of a year now and since I smoked the flake and PPP, I don't want Amphora anymore lol.

I recommend this flake for educated beginners and up. It's a good smoke but needs babysitting as care while it's burning.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I gave it a go when I first started out about five years ago. Back then the nicotine was too much for me. Since I've recently had Dunhill's De Luxe Navy Rolls which some say is on the stronger side of medium nicotine blend and it didn't effect me if I had a small snack before lighting up I picked up another tin of University Flake to give it a second try. I do recall enjoying the flavor of the blend. Hopefully it's even better this second time around.

Jan 29, 2015
I picked up a tin of this with my last order along with the Irish Flake. I'm glad I did. Upon opening your greeted with a wonderful tobacco scent along with the sweet aroma of plum. After setting the flake out for about 15 minutes I rubbed it out in between my thumb and fingers creating "kindling" so to speak and a little round what I later described to myself as a tumbleweed. I placed the "tumbleweed" into my pipe and dusted it with the remaining bits and pieces. It lit nicely. The plum flavor is not as prominent as the smell but it's there. Just enough to give it a little sweetness. A nice flake throughout. I will for sure order another tin or two and see what a little cellar time will do.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
UF is a long time favorite of mine...just not quite as good as it once was with the original formula, but still a great smoke. If I remember correctly, it was only the first few tins I had of it several years ago that were the original. I'm unable to articulate exactly what the difference was, but it was noticeable.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had about four or five bowls of UF on this second time around and I have to say I'm LOVING it. I think my mistake first time around was using one and a half flakes. I think that was just too much and is the reason I was getting my butt kicked by the nicotine. With the one flake it's just the right length of a smoke and it doesn't nearly effect me as much with the nicotine. The plum flavor is coming through a bit more than I recall. Also some nice apricot notes from the Virginias and some nuttiness from the Burley. I've been informed by the lady that it has a pleasant just pipey room note. Always good when the lady gives the blend a thumbs up on the room note.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
The new formula is a bastardization of what it once was. They deepened the strength and flavor of Irish flake when it came out about 8 or 9 years ago and emasculated this once fine natural baccy which had but a slight top note of "plum". Saddens me still.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I've smoke several bowls of this now (down to my last 4 flakes) and I can honestly say I prefer to rub it out. I find it mellows the VA tartness and makes the smoke more creamy tasting. This is definitely a regular in my rotation now.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
This is more of a burley flake with some VA added. I must say that I mean to not seem like a kill joy, and I'm glad that you guys find joy in this new iteration.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
UF is one of my favorites if smoked in the right pipe. I normally only smoke it in a poker and I also rub it out. Then again, I rub out all flake tobacco's. Leaving a nice room note is also a positive.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
University is the only aromatic I smoke and I enjoy it very much. I cube cut it so I get a nice slow and cool burn and the flavors really shine through. I can definitely taste the plum topping and like the added sweetness it provides.

May 31, 2012
The new formula is a bastardization of what it once was. They deepened the strength and flavor of Irish flake when it came out about 8 or 9 years ago and emasculated this once fine natural baccy which had but a slight top note of "plum". Saddens me still.
Sad that they screwed it up.
I tried it a couple of years ago but found it a bit weak and much too "blueberry smurf" :eek:

Recently picked up another tin to try again and re-evaluate...
...what is the deal with Rattray's Wallace Flake as compared to UF?

:?:

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I recommend this flake for educated beginners and up. It's a good smoke but needs babysitting as care while it's burning.
I agree with that. This blend was my first experience with flake. At first I had a hell of a time with it. It just wouldn't stay lit even rubbed out. I experimented here and there and the bowl I'm smoking now is the best yet. Well rubbed out, maybe 10 minutes dry time. It took after the initial light and is burning beautifully. The plum note is there more so than my earlier attempts but is not overpowering. It's really a tasty smoke. It is rather high in nic which I suppose would be the case with most blends containing burley?

This is also my first VaBur blend and there is a wonderful thickness and creaminess to the smoke.

I don't buy aros and wouldn't have purchased this if the guy at the b&m called it one. I could see this becoming much more than a 'break' from my usual oriental and english style blends.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Wallace Flake is supposedly the same as University Flake. K&K lost/gave up (??) the rights to make the Peterson tobaccos so they changed the names, but I guess they are still the same blends. I compared University Flake with Wallace Flake and they are pretty much identical.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
As with Irish Flake, University Flake is no longer produced by K-K. Still a great tasting/smelling flake. What I do notice is whatever harshness I experienced with this in its original incarnation is now non existent. Kudos to the new blender, whoever you are. Haven't had the Wallace Flake (K-K blend name under the Rattray banner)which is purported to be the same as University Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.