PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I made it a tradition to get a St. Patrick Day Pete every year, with the exception of last years line... I just couldn't get over the yellow stem with the green stain and army mount. Those three attributes did not (in my opinion) go well together at all.
I may (perhaps) renew my yearly tradition this Feburary with the 2019 line up.
This year, Peterson has decided to bring in the system pipes. As much as I love Peterson pipes, I've yet to purchase a system pipe. Also, they are including the option of fishtail stems and P-lip stems. I also have yet to own a Plip. So for those of you, like myself, who enjoy Petes but somehow never purchased one or both of these options in a pipe that made Peterson famous, now's a good chance to finally do so.
Also... once again they are green. As they have been for three out of the last four years... now four out of the last five. I must say that is my number one gripe out of this years group. It was cool the first time, and still pretty cool the second time. But now it's lost a bit of its appeal. A couple green pipes in the collection is nice, and fun. But I don't want this many. Not to mention, I'm still tempted to purchase last years pipe just to have it in the collection even though I practically hated them. That being said, they certainly look better this year, returning to a black stem instead of that gods awful yellow stem on green pipe combination.
So. I'm a bit up in the air on this years. I'd like to continue my yearly tradition of St. Patty's Day pipes. I'm a bit thrown off by the once again green. But, I dig that they chose the system pipes with either Plip or fishtail, which I own neither of.
Not a bad looking pipe, though.
06.jpg

And here's the complete line up.... https://www.smokingpipes.com/St.Pat_Peterson-Pipes-2019.cfm

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't have any of the St. Patrick's Day collection, so if I decide to pick one up this year, it'll be my first. I really didn't mind the yellow stems on last year's too much, but they kinda, sorta make you look like a Green Bay Packers fan.
This year's rendition certainly looks nice, though. Wonder what the price range is? Been wanting to hold on to some of my PAD money in the hopes that Peterson comes out with some more hinged lid pipes. I really want one of those in my rotation. Or just to smoke when it's windy.
I don't have but one Peterson so far, a Christmas 2018 that I love and is in a fishtail, so I don't have a plip either. Not sure if I'll like it or not, but you never know until you try it.
I love the silver spigot on it though. Looks sharp for sure this year.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I have two Peterson St. Patrick's pipes; a 2017 150 Bulldog variation and an estate 2001 XL21. Love them both, but they are the only Peterson pipes I own.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Not a fan of the green bowls. I like colored stems, not colored bowls. There is a Peterson St. Patrick's pipe that caught my eye that I like but I don't remember the year. I believe the bowl is black with a green rim...maybe 2013? 2014?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two green stain pipes I like, but neither of them are my Petersons. My St. Patrick's Day Pete is an Around the World series bulldog with a band with the Irish cross and bright reddish stain, a really good smoker.

chadinstl

Lurker
Apr 1, 2018
Well I bought a 2018 a little late in the year, so I didn't get to choose from all of the shapes. This year I am going to get one early on so I can pick from them all. I really like last years it stands out for sure. This years does look, I would say a bit classier maybe. I will go with the P lip also. Pipe smoking is making it hard for me to save my money. : )

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Anthony, IMHO, a set is a set, tradition is tradition, and precedence is precedence. If you have started a collection then stick to it. Get the 2019 pipe. Pieces with a story are always better than one offs. Just my 2 cents.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Every beautiful girl has at least one blemish somewhere. Sets are beautiful. Just photoshop the the 2018 out if you ever get one. :)

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I hated last year's too. I like this year's though... I can replace my lost system and St. Patrick's Day pipes with one purchase, which is how I'm selling it to the Minister of Finance.
BTW... The St.Patrick's Day pipe I lost was the one with the green/orange/white band, I think from around 1998. If y'all should happen to run across one, please let me know.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Nice! Mine was a smooth bent, similar if not identical to the smooth bent 1998 shown on the below page. The color was the same too.

http://www.petersonpipenotes.org/tag/peterson-st-patricks-day-pipe-1998

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm now thinking about picking up the 307. So many of these look alike it's hard to tell much a difference. I like a nice, big bowl and the 314 looked nice, but it's hard to identify a size I like as among the pipes of the same model, they differ in bowl diameter and depth. Gah...decisions, decisions. I was hoping to have the shape I wanted picked out before they release so all I have to do is add to cart and click buy!

Jan 8, 2013
I'm now thinking about picking up the 307.
I'm leaning toward the 307 as well. The shape seems to be speaking to me just a bit more.... so far. That may change by the time they're released lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.