PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Petes are nice, but after a few recent purchases I've been converted to the Sav crowd. Maybe I need to try some of the higher end Petes, see if that makes a difference.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay, I'll give a "useful" answer now. I have two Savinelli's and they are both great. I have four Petersons and they all smoke good, but the most expensive one I bought has a pretty bad issue with the staining. It's a green spigot pipe and, for a long time, I didn't notice the issue, but when you hold it in strong light or in any type of sunlight, one side of the bowl isn't even green, there's a big brown blotch the size of my thumb, probably the undercoat color, and whoever stained it never actually got any green stain on that section. I was going to contact Peterson initially, but then thought, nope, this pipe will be an important lesson in the future about buying pipes online.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I have several of each and have noticed a consistent practical difference in that my Petersons all have their holes (bowl to stem) drilled about an eighth of an inch higher than the Savinellis. I like to finish my tobacco to the last morsel, so the Petersons generally take a bit more manouvering of tobacco near the end to keep them lit. That said, I love both companies and will continue to purchase from both makers.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I have both Petes and Savs. Both are great pipes but I give a slight edge to the Savs. They don't have dye in their bowls which I always have to clean out of my Petersons and a lot of the Petes have P-lips and I prefer fishtails. Don't get me wrong, though, they are both great pipes.
Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.