PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I'm a new person here and this shall be my first topic. So hello everyone! I enjoyed lurking here :)
Was a casual smoker 15 years ago, then quit.
Now I'm returning to this old hobby. My old pipes are all thoroughly cleaned and I've just found in a drawer a 2008 tin of Mac Baren Navy Flake which appeared to be wonderfully aged.

Now I'm going to get a new Peterson system pipe (312 shape). Could you please share your thoughts: what would be a better Peterson tobacco to match. I'm not going to break the pipe in. Just want to smoke through this first tin.
I understand it shouldn't be an aromatic (I don't usually like them anyway). Also, ribbon-cut are more preferable for a new pipe than flakes or plugs. And I would like it to be specifically Peterson (a bit ODC, I know).
Otherwise, I'm all ears :)

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Hi,
congrats on your first topic and welcome! I'm not familiar with Peterson tobaccos so I'll let others help you with that.
Let me just comment your thought about best tobacco cut for breaking in a pipe.
... ribbon-cut are more preferable for a new pipe than flakes or plugs.
I've learnt here just the opposite, ribbon cut to be the less wanted as it would very likely burn much hotter than flakes and could potentially make some damage to briar.

Good luck with your new Peterson!
Will keep an eye on this thread to hear the more experienced pipers but the right way is probably the one YOU're gonna choose.

Reactions: vates

hsnzz

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2018
chicagopipeclub.com
Hello and welcome to the forums! My recommendation would be Peterson's University Flake, personally it is one of my favorites. It's a Virginia/Burley mix, so it has a nice range of flavors; sweetness from the Virginia's and nice bready low notes from the burley, resulting in a cooler smoke. Since you are getting back into the hobby, you probably want something like University Flake which is more forgiving on the tongue than straight Virginias' or VaPers. The flakes come with pretty good moisture content and are easy to rub out into ribbons.

Now I'm going to get a new Peterson system pipe (312 shape).

What line of pipe are you looking at? I can certainly vouch for the system pipes, and Peterson's Aran 106 happens to be one of my best smokers!

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Just a word of warning, brand new Peterson pipes can sometimes taste like caca because they dip stain the bowls and that stuff gets into the flavor of the first few smokes. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're not going to break the pipe in, it may already be broken in, but if not you might want to gently sand the inside of the bowl before loading it up for the first time.

Aside from that, I also recommend University Flake, or Irish Flake if you want something stronger.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Hi,
congrats on your first topic and welcome!

Thanks for your warm welcome!

I've learnt here just the opposite, ribbon cut to be the less wanted as it would very likely burn much hotter than flakes and could potentially make some damage to briar.

I feel that I have more control while packing (layering) the pipe with ribbon-cut blends. I have good results with well-rubbed flakes too, but I'd like to be a bit lazy this time :)

Good luck with your new Peterson!
Will keep an eye on this thread to hear the more experienced pipers but the right way is probably the one YOU're gonna choose.

Thank you! I'll post my decision and results here for sure.

Peterson Old Dublin, go go go!

Thanks for your suggestion! Been considering it. I'll place it in the short list ?

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your warm welcome!

My recommendation would be Peterson's University Flake, personally it is one of my favorites.

I really like flakes (strange thing, the majority of my favorite blends so far are flakes :col:), and I'm going to buy the PUF on my next visit to the shop, that's for sure. But for this particular pipe, I'm looking for ribbon-cuts.

What line of pipe are you looking at? I can certainly vouch for the system pipes, and Peterson's Aran 106 happens to be one of my best smokers!

Standard line 312. It's already on its way actually :)
Yes, Aran 120 (or maybe 106) will probably be my next Peterson ;)

Just a word of warning, brand new Peterson pipes can sometimes taste like caca because they dip stain the bowls and that stuff gets into the flavor of the first few smokes. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're not going to break the pipe in, it may already be broken in, but if not you might want to gently sand the inside of the bowl before loading it up for the first time.

I'll look into it, thank you.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm of the school of thought that believes you should use a fairly neutral tobacco to break in a pipe. (I currently use Lane Ready Rubbed. Lots of guys swear by Carter Hall for this.) That way you don't have the briar taking on any of the flavors of your tobacco. I dearly love Old Dublin, but I would not use it to break in a pipe. It's a latakia blend, and lat blends can flavor the briar.
I'm also of the school that thinks you should never smoke a tobacco you are not familiar with in a new pipe. If you do that, and it tastes awful to you, you don't know what is causing the issue. I realize that, since you are returning to the hobby, this might get more complicated. The fact that Peterson dipstains their pipes also fits in here.
My advice would be, then, to get yourself a pouch of one of the old reliable burleys like Carter Hall or Lane RR, along with whatever Peterson blend you decide to get. Smoke that burley in there first. After you get through half a dozen bowls, then turn to that Peterson.
Enjoy the new Pete, and welcome to the Forum.

Last edited:

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I'm of the school of thought that believes you should use a fairly neutral tobacco to break in a pipe.
That way you don't have the briar taking on any of the flavors of your tobacco. I dearly love Old Dublin, but I would not use it to break in a pipe. It's a latakia blend, and lat blends can flavor the briar.

I share the same thought actually.

I'm also of the school that thinks you should never smoke a tobacco you are not familiar with in a new pipe. If you do that, and it tastes awful to you, you don't know what is causing the issue. I realize that, since you are returning to the hobby. The fact that Peterson dipstains their pipes also fits in here.
My advice would be, then, to get yourself a pouch of one of the old reliable burleys like Carter Hall or Lane RR, along with whatever Peterson blend you decide to get. Smoke that burley in there first. After you get through half a dozen bowls, then turn to that Peterson.
Enjoy the new Pete, and welcome to the Forum.

I will probably test the selected Peterson blend in a familiar pipe first. Thank you for your advice and for the warm welcome!

Reactions: judcole

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I've inquired Peterson with the same question. Surprisingly, they've suggested either Connemara Black, Irish Dew or Wild Atlantic. The first one is an aromatic, so it's a no go. WA has got very positive reviews but it's perhaps too much Latakia/Oriental for a fresh pipe. So amongst these three I'm leaning more towards Irish Dew.
What do you think, dear forumites?

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Done a bit more reading. Irish Dew appears to be a pretty pronounced aromatic too :(
Oh, well. Gotta research further...

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome to the forum. I have several unopened tins of Peterson tobaccos that my wife bought for me and some of my Peterson pipes are still unsmoked. This thread makes interesting reading.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Thank you!

btw, the bowl had no coating, mentioned earlier. it's clean and fresh. really like how it goes so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.