PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
I am wanting to buy a peterson system pipe, but I would like to know if cleaning is difficult, and if the smoke is any different then a traditional peterson. Is there also a difference between standard and premier systems??

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Is cleaning difficult, no I do not think so, I enjoy to smoke and clean my systems pipes - but it must be mentioned that have nothing else to do than smoking and cleaning.

No difference in smoking qualities between a standard and a premier.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have all non-system Petes, and find them sturdy no-fuss smokers, just to put in a good word for the non-system pipes. I especially recommend the B-11 brandy in various series and at various price levels. I've only seen it mentioned by one other Forums member, fairly recently, but these are sitters, with ample bowls, but nice light weight for their size. I like the fishtail bits on my Petes.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I love Peterson pipes and they make up something like half of my collection. But I have only one system pipe because I just don't like them. I don't think they add much over a well-drilled pipe and they are a little pesky to clean. That said, everyone probably ought to buy and try at least one. You may find you like them.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Woopigpiper, of course you are right. But, as I said, I got plenty of time so when I clean a system time goes with that.

Maybe Peterson systems pipes are for old boys only.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Is there also a difference between standard and premier systems??
The price!

The Premier System comes in a spectacular briar.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/peterson-system-premier-313

http://www.peterson.ie/c/27/premier-quality

And...

https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/64-the-next-gen-system/

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
If I purchased a system pipe say from the 50's would I have to replace any parts on it?? I'm not sure if there are any replaceable parts on these type of pipes.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I'm not sure if there are any replaceable parts on these type of pipes.
No parts. The Peterson System is cut into the bowl itself.

Scroll down this linked page, and until you come to a System pipe cut-away.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/show-off-your-petersons-here/page/5

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great illustration!
peterson-system1.jpg

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I can share one of the best videos discussing the cleaning aspect of your post.
Woopigpiper, thanks for the link, I really enjoy Bradleys videos and reviews. He is meticulous about his cleaning and care for his pipes. I have found that the system pipes are not much harder to clean, I will run a Q-tip in the system chamber when I am done is the only thing I do different from other pipes.

Pipeude28 They are great smokers I advise picking one up!!

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
pGreat questions. I can share one of the best videos discussing the cleaning aspect of your post.
The Stuff & Things Guide to Pipe Smoking - Cleaning a Peterson System Pipe
WooPigPiper

u/feerno
I have a Peterson System but have not cleaned out the chamber properly, will do it in future. Although the guy on the YouTube was way too much OCD, feel excessive cleaning is as bad as not cleaning!

As regards reducing/stopping nicotine being drawn up, not noticed any significant difference, but then one of the things I like smoking for is the nicotine hit!

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Why are there some system pipes with a metal type cartridge at the bottom of the stem?
It is a spigot: a nice variation on the army mount, for fitting the stem into the pipe... covered in one the answers above, and here it is again:

https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/64-the-next-gen-system/

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Just picked up one off the bay. Will restore it when it gets here and then see how it smokes........and cleans.
s-l1600.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have several Pete System pipes, and find that they smoke dryer than some other pipes. Yes, they need a couple of extra steps to clean but it doesn't make that much difference. I use a q-tip to clean the tenon and the reservoir in the shank, then use a pipe cleaner to clean the stem and shank draft hole. No big deal, but if anything, the P-lip bothers me more that anything else. I've gotten used to it, but prefer a fishtail bit.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I have 8 Peterson System pipes, I enjoy them a lot. I find some tobaccos taste better in System pipes and others taste better in non-System pipes. The smoke is cooler and drier, especially if you pair it with a p-lip. P-lips do two things, 1) aim the smoke at the roof of your mouth 2) they are wider at the bottom than the top, which causes less suction in the bowl. Basically it forces you to slow down your smoking.
As far as cleaning? Not much different, just swab the reservoir area. If you neglect to clean the reservoir area, and leave it for too long, it can be a real bitch to clean.
Standard vs. Premier. Standard is basic, decent briar, nickel mount. Premier is a higher grade of briar, and silver mounted.
System pipes and p-lips, either you love them or hate them, especially the p-lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.