PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
last pipe, i've been stuck on peterson, i thought something was strange with the coating in the bowl. but didn't pay attention since the pipe smoked great. got a new pipe and the coating was rather different from flat black coating i was used to seeing. now it's shiny thick black coating like someone poured black tar in it. while smoking, the draw was restricted. ran a cleaning and kept on smoking. then, i haven't reached bottom 1/4 bowl yet and it keep going out. emptied the bowl and noticed the coating was all at the botton mixed with tobacco bits and hardened. it wasn't all that hard to remove, but i'm wondering what's with this coating?

Jan 8, 2013
Was your new Peterson a 2019 Saint Patrick's Day pipe? They used that coating on those, but I've not heard of it being on any other pipes. It's a crappy coating. Luckily, it removes easily enough. But hopefully, they don't use it on any other pipes.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I bought a Peterson 2018 Christmas pipe a couple months ago, and it had the regular flat black carbon coating I've seen in other similar pipes. I would venture to guess the pipe would have been made no more than 9 months ago or so, which would mean they were using the "normal" carbon coating pretty recently and still could be on other pipes.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
They used that coating on this Irish Made Army I recently picked up, didn't care for and stripped it after one bowl. Guessing it's shellac with charcoal powder but I don't know, they went too heavy with whatever it is though.
20190119_015858-jpg.26020

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I got a system pipe few weeks ago, had the same issue. Tasted like crap to! Now I know some don't like coatings, but I have never had issues with them. This is the first I had to remove.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Ah yes... a post about Peterson's and coatings. I had a Peterson once that the coating got weird on too. It's 100 feet deep and 50 feet up, probably between two plastic bottles, waiting to reach the 1 trillion year pile of shit just above organic material. I should of burned the briar and reused the stem in a handmade pipe... 20/20 hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.