Peterson St. Patty's 2014... And A Dilemma.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
When I received my 2013 St. Patty's Day pipe last year, I decided I would begin a new tradition... to purchase one of these pipes every year. This was a tradition I've been looking forward to continuing all year and was planning on another XL90 shape just like my 2013. And now the St. Patrick's Day 2014 pipes are here. Smokingpipes.com has them, as well as pipesandcigars.com. I should be overjoyed, right? Well they rusticated them this year, and I'm just not a big fan of rustication. I've seen a few rusticated pipes that were ok, but most just don't speak to me. I'm afraid I won't allow myself to pull the trigger on one and it seems my new tradition is over before it even began. I know it seems kind of pathetic, but I'm actually kind of disappointed... perhaps even a little sad. So what say you all? Should I let the dream live and purchase a pipe I may not fall in love with basically only because it's rusticated? (it could after all turn into a great smoker like my other one) Or should I pass and let the tradition die a terrible early death?

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Maybe you can turn the tradition to a St. Patrick's Day pipe buy vs the actual St. Patrick's Day pipe. If you are not to crazy about rusticated pipes then it makes sense not to buy something you feel you may not smoke and enjoy.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I wish I could have a tradition like that as well. The first and foremost thing when It comes to pipes for me is that if it doesn't speak to me I will most likely psych myself out and not enjoy it. That being said I have bought pipes for sale in lots and been surprised... It's a tough call. You could easily just switch it to buying a Peterson for St. Patricks day every year, not just the St. Patricks Day pipe.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
30% of my pipes are rusticated. Specially SAVINELLI HANDMADE ring-grainwith plateau top and

DANISH SPECIAL sun-rising blast from bottom of bowl are my favorite.

Btw what is a "tradition"? only a good thing makes tradition? I guess combine everything whether good and not so good. When years passed it will show up front of your eyes.

Jan 8, 2013
I wanted to begin with my first year of smoking a pipe and move forward, Coalsmoke. 2013 was my first year. So it just wouldn't seem right to go backward. That is a beautiful pipe in the link, however. Great suggestions everyone and thank you. Perhaps I'll just purchase a Peterson Harp or an Aran if I can find a good deal on one.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am not really thrilled with the sandblast either, this year. Maybe you should buy a Peterson you like every year, since they are all Irish anyway, and make that your tradition? I mean, if you budgeted the money anyway, maybe buy a different shape every year!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I am on the opposite side. Not a general fan of Pete's I've owned swore them off personally. This years versions are testing my rule.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I'm with Dervis. Didn't plan on buying another Pete any time soon but this year's pipe is actually kind of calling me. Maybe I've gone crazy from this brutal winter. :crazy:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I actually like the sandblasted 2014 St. Pat's quite a lot. When I first started smoking, I didn't like rusticated or blasted pipes either. But as time went on I found myself gravitating towards them. Nowadays a good percentage of the pipes I buy are either rusticated, or sandblasted.
I say go for it Anthony, it might grow on you.. And you never know, you might have a change of taste and really get into blasted and rusticated pipes one of these days.

Jan 8, 2013
I've seen a few blasts that I really like, Pete. I'm just not a huge fan of rustication such as on these Petes. However I have seen a few pipes with that style of rustication that I thought were quite nice... mainly those that were partially rusticated or partially smooth. If I do decide to purchase one, it will because I REALLY wanted to start a tradition of a st pattys day pipe every year and it would have to be another XL90 like mine from last year. I love the way that pipe feels in my hand. And it's one of my best smokers. Needless to say it's going to be a hard choice for me this time lol.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I never had a Pete until a friend of mine two years ago persuaded me to try one, so I got the 2012 St. Patrick's Day pipe. I loved it and then I got the 2013 St. Patrick's Day pipe, and I love that one, so it will be hard keeping me away from the 2014 St. Patrick's Day pipe, rustication or not. Of course, I wish they had given us more options, but that's the way it is. Anthony, me boy, you are faced with a decision that only you can make. Best of luck!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Anthony you're over thinking it. Keep your tradition, buy the pipe...then give it to me since you don't like it.
I have to admit, it doesn't trip my trigger either. That darn Hopkins from the Sherlock Holmes series keeps calling me....when I resist it reminds me that the Kinsale line is cheaper....

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Take the plunge, get the rusticated pipe. That is, I think the value of getting the St Patrick's Day pipe, or the Christmas pipe or . . . every year. You commit to take what they offer and that's how you expand your horizons.

dd50

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2013
I'm with Wilson, go for it. It is a neat tradition and if you were really planning to do this every year there was bound to be finishes or shapes that didn't speak to you. I never liked the look of Rhodesians, but picked one up as part of a sale and I ended up loving that pipe. If these 2014's smoke well, I think that rustication is going to look much better to you.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I saw one in person at the shop her in Buffalo Anthony, and I was really impressed with the finish when I saw it. I say go for it, if it really isn't your cup of tea then return it. However, I'm with Wilson and expanding your horizons. The pipe I just bought has a natural finish and never like the looks of before. Who knows, it could turn out to be a favourite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would make the tradition buying a Peterson St. Patricks pipe every year they appeal to you. Don't

buy something you don't like for a tradition. Are you sure the whole series is out? Sometimes other

versions are offered; there are still a few weeks to go. Personally, I like some rusticated pipes and

some sandblasts. I even like some hokey rustication if it happens to appeal to me, like my LaRocca

poker with a patterned carved rustication. At first I rejected it, but after a few weeks, it played on

my mind and I went back for it. It's a good pipe, and funky gorgeous.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Only you can make that decision, Anthony, but I agree with those that are urging you to go through with it. If the tradition is what you had your heart set on, then stay true to it, and see how it goes. Like you and others have said, it might end up being one of your best smokers, and you may come to treasure it. However, you may wait awhile and see if any others become available that you might like better. Good luck!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I just dropped the dime on one of the canadian shapes, I really like this years model. More Irish I think with the green and rustic.

Status
Not open for further replies.