Peterson St. Patty's 2014... And A Dilemma.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I just dropped the dime on one of the canadian shapes, I really like this years model. More Irish I think with the green and rustic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The trouble with going ahead, if you don't like rustication, is that they may repeat the rustication next year,

in a different stain or shape, and then you'd be into it for buying another rusticated pipe you don't really want.

I say, stick to your guns with what you like. Buy them if you like them, and the price point, and not otherwise.

(After a certain age, the years come around so fast, this won't even seem like a sacrifice, just a bit of a wait.)

Jan 8, 2013
Everyone is making some great points here. And I'm on both sides. That is why it's so hard to make my decision. Wilson does make a good point as far as broadening my horizons. I'll think on it :)

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I was also looking at the new 2014 Saint Paddy's Day Peterson pipes. I did not see any rusticated pipes but all sandblasted ones. Being a fan of sandblasts I am going to get one if they don't sell out first because they are flying off the shelf from what I see. If they were Carved/Rusticated pipes I would pass as those don't interest me at all. The nice part about being sandblasted vs. smooth is that the smooth pipes will all have fills that would be obvious in that price line, and the sandblast finish will not show any fills, nor would a rusticated pipes. Good luck in your choice Anthony.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I will probably get one as I am a fan of rustication and blasts. Since those are not your thing, I would agree with the others who suggested getting a regular Peterson.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I actually like the sandblasted 2014 St. Pat's quite a lot. When I first started smoking, I didn't like rusticated or blasted pipes either. But as time went on I found myself gravitating towards them. Nowadays a good percentage of the pipes I buy are either rusticated, or sandblasted.
I say go for it Anthony, it might grow on you.. And you never know, you might have a change of taste and really get into blasted and rusticated pipes one of these days.
+1 on all counts. There was a time when I never thought I'd own a rusticated or sandblast, and now I happily own several. Tastes change. I still like my smooths just as much, but rusticated pipes are just as nice to my eyes now.
Also, these St Patty's look like sandblasts to me, which personally I prefer over rusticated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
anthony, if you are weakening, you may be ready for a textured pipe, and these are sandblasts, not rusticated, so

that is a finish that does preserve the grain, though not with a smooth finish. There were only two left when I went

to smokingpipes.com, 1/26/14, and I thought the 230 bent billiard was an especially nice version, light weight but

plenty big enough. If you decide to make a departure into a textured briar, these particular pipes would be a way

to do that.

Jan 8, 2013
So they're blasts and not rusticated? Blasts I might be able to live with. I've seen a few blasts that I really liked. I may take another look.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Anthony I had the same mind thoughts about blasts and rusticated pipe until I bought one they kind of seem to grow on you, I fully think if you buy one you will not be disappointed. With that being said I don't own any Petersons so I can't speak of quality.

~Ron

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Anthony,
I have the same aspirations. A St. Party's Day Pete, 3 tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer, and I am sure some other annual traditions. I looked at them on a few sites and liked the body, but was hoping for a Zulu or similar shape. I will still get one, probably the apple shape, but am not in love with the shapes I have seen.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've learned years ago, and I'm certainly not just referring to just purchasing a pipe, is to never purchase something that goes against your inner feelings/taste, etc. Usually, you'll end up having that (subconscious inner doubt?), and it's just not worth it. Always go with your gut feeling. I'm certainly not touting smooth, rusticated and or sand blasted as that is your, and or anyone's personal preference/taste. Always go with what you honestly feels right for you and don't be swayed by others. After all, when all is said and done; you are the one that will have to live with it... not us. :wink:

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Anthony,
Early in the thread, someone mentioned getting older editions of the St. Patrick's Day pipes. I have been watching eBay for the past week and did not see much encouraging. That is not to say that you could not be vigilant and get some along the way. I have a 2005 St Paddy pipe (Rhodesian smooth finish) that I would be willing to part with, I would guess that there are others so inclined...
Either way, we are with you!

Spencer

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Anthony:
Just a note for the future:
I've never heard of a company offering similar Christmas pipe shapes/finishes from year to year. In my experience, each year's offerings stand alone, so you can often tell at a glance what "year" someone's smoking.
Pardon me if you knew this already, but it sounded like, from your OP, you expected to be able to get a duplicate pipe the following year.
Bob

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
well may problem is my earlier St. Pats are all XL90 but this year that Canadian is really whispering in my ear. I know most will say buy both.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
While we've been gabbing, SP and P&C have sold most of theirs. 4N has a few bents, COJ appears to be well stocked. I just ordered a #264.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I'd say just go for it! Even though the rustication isn't your style, it shouldn't take away from the smoking experience you'll get out of it.
I wanted to pick one up last week when word that P&C had it, but I slept on it and the morning after, they were all sold out =.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
SP has some right now. I just got the Canadian. I think it looks very Irish. This is my 20th anniversary gift. It is on March 17th! Happy patty's day.

Jan 8, 2013
:) I wasn't expecting the same finish, Bob. I've seen later year pipes and it seems they change it up. I just wasn't expecting them to go blasted or rusticated. Last year I got the XL90 shape, which they have again this year and I know they've had in the past as well. Blasts are ok, I've seen a few that I thought were quite nice. And I'm sure the pipe will look better in person than in a photo online.... they usually do, and the green rim is a nice touch.
Spencer, thank you for the offer :) But I want to move forward from the year I began smoking a pipe. It was a year this January, so I want 2013, 2014, and on from that :)

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We had 60 and blew through them in a couple of days. We have 70 more that should arrive any day, but St. Patrick's Day pipes always fly out the door as fast as they come in. I think they did a nice job on the way they finished the blasts this year and would probably grab one if I didn't want to make sure that our customers had first dibs.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.