PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
I recently got and estate Peterson 1912 Iceberg Coollecrion Bow rusticated.
The pipe is in mint condition and was a good deal, but half of the silver "P" logo inlaid on the stem is missing and the groove where it was inlaid, although still there, is quite shallow.
Is there a way to repair/redo these silver logos?
Cheers,
J

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The method used to create those logos requires specialized machinery and components that aren't available outside the Pete factory.
You might give them a shout directly. Tom and his crew are very keen on customer service-y stuff like this:
http://www.peterson.ie/contactus

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wait, stop the presses - a pipe repair George D can't pull off. I thought he was an alien, but turns out, he's mostly human after all. Sort of a Spock-like creature I suspect.
I have had easy contact with Peterson about these kind of repairs. They respond quickly and seem to readily accept repairs like this. My only consternation was shipping my pipes to them, I wasn't sure I entrusted the postal system to get them back and forth (for minor issues). I have a Premier Selection with a silver P that has a piece flaked off.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Thank you George, Al and Dutch.
The pipe is an Iceberg Port, not a Bow. The Bow I'm probably getting for Xmas!
It will get sent for repair after the holiday season. Thanks for the advice.
As I am a tinkerer by nature, and pipes which I do not like aesthetically or I think flawed don't get smoked, I had to temporarily fix the issue in a way which satisfied my OCD.
The pipe was flawed in two ways:
1. The stem logo was in horrible shape
2. The original burgundy stain looked pinkish and made the pipe look very unappealing
So first I removed the pink stain and re-stained the pipe in a shade of brown which I like a lot more.
Then I fixed the stem logo. It is not a professional or collector grade repair and will probably not last forever, but as I said before, it satisfies my OCD.
This is what I did to the stem:
1. Removed some minor oxidation.
2. With a scalpel I re-carved the slot where the inlay was missing (could have done a better job at it but I didn't want to over do it with the scalpel and decided to quit while I was ahead...)
3. I waxed the stem with carnauba and buffed.
4. Painted the re-carved slot with a water-soluble silver pencil (Faber Castell Albrecht Durer Silver 8200-251)
5. Waxed again and buffed some more
It is not perfect and will not last forever, but looks good enough and will last a while since it withstood several wax coats and rounds of buffing.
What do you think?,
Cheers,
J
4_zps5u6eht3j.jpg

3_zpsq8erxplj.jpg

5_zps8kzjlx4c.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That's a good looking pipe. You could try a DIY fix instead of mailing it out.
A product called rub and buff could work to fix the logo. Just like the name, rub on buff off. It comes in every color. Metallic silver or white for the Peterson. $5. It sets up like paint in a few hours. Excess can easily be removed with mineral spirits.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Leaf-76308M-Amaco-Rub-N-Buff-Uncarded-Wax-Metallic-Finish-Crafts-/331490472844?hash=item4d2e5f338c:g:eek:YEAAOSwBLlU71rK
Nice photos! Can I hire you to shoot my collection?

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Thanks a lot Dave! Will try to find it down here and give it a try.
If we lived any closer I would shoot your collection just for the pleasure of seeing it!
Cheers,
J

Status
Not open for further replies.