PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I just acquired a very nice Peterson Sherlock Milverton Rustic Plip estate pipe and am currently cleaning it before smoking it. It is in excellent condition and was well smoked, a heavy cake for sure,but very well cared for. I was very surprised by its very light weight for its size!!! I had/have (it seems to have gone missing along with a small Douwe Egbert all wrapped up in my pipe pouch) a similarly sized Peterson. It was a Peterson Kinsale XL17F Fishtail estate from the mid 80s from all I know. This Milverton feels markedly lighter that my Kinsale for sure. The Kinsale smoked very well and I expect the Milverton to as well. I have heard of some quality issues at times with Peterson's so I am wondering what I can expect with this Milverton? It appears to be very well made and finished and the boring looks very good but I do note some dye in the stem mortise as has sometimes been blamed for a bad smoking pipe.
Just curious about this one as the hallmarks seem to indicate the date of 1994. I can only hope it smokes as good as it looks as I love the look of it for sure and as it was so heavily smoked I hope that means its a keeper!!!
Thanks,

Draco

Jan 8, 2013
Draco... we like pictures here! :) My guess, is with such a heavy cake, it likely was a good smoker. I say clean that Peterson up and enjoy the heck out of it.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Stain in the bowl will cause some taste issues initially but they quickly dissipate. Stain in the mortis has little or no impact. As Anthony indicated if it were a problem it's unlikely it would have been smoked that much. Enjoy. I have a number of Sherlock Holmes series pipes and they are all good smokers.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The quality problems with Petersons are mostly poor drilling and excessively numerous and/or sized fills. The latter is purely cosmetic, and if it doesn't bother you to pay full-price for what should be a second, it's not a problem. The drilling of course does affect the way it smokes, and sometimes it's so far off that re-drilling won't help. A good non-system (the "system" doesn't do what it claims, and leaves a wet sump inside the pipe to sour and smell if it isn't cleaned and aired after every smoke) Pete is a good pipe, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one...at a B&M where I could examine it in person and go through the entire stock in search of one which should actually deserved to pass QC. Buying them off the internet has been a source of frustration and aggravation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indeed. That was what made my hour stay in the Peterson Dublin store so rewarding; I could find the aesthetics I wanted with the proper drilling at a decent price point.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I appreciate the feedback. It is currently in the cleaning process I use on any estate pipe that comes to me as is. I reamed back the excess cake, this one has a lot especially in lower two thirds of the bowl, down to about 3/8 of an inch diameter before reaming so a very well used pipe. It currently is in the second phase of kosher salt and 151 rum. As far as drilling it is spot on. As far as fills I see no sign of any fills but beeing heavily rusticated they may not show but again no signs. The silver work is excellent as well as stem fit. All in all from all appearances a well used but well loved pipe. As soon as the cleaning process is complete I will report back on smoking experience and some before and after pics. I would say this should be a good one and is a very handsome and well executed pipe.
I did purchase this locally so was able to check it out before purchase and got it at a very fair price along with another pipe I have written about here, a Dunhill Cumberland smoked by the same gentleman and just as well smoked and loved as this Peterson.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Sorry I have not been able to post the pre clean pics yet but I have been dealing with DSL and power issues at home.
I have had a chance to put one bowl of Old Virginia Flake, available from OVTC a local brick and mortar chain. It smoked beautifily!!! Cool and sweet and again I am impressed by the light weight for its manly size. My Kinsale XL17 is of similar size and construction and it is light for its size but this is even lighter! Well worth the pittance, well let's say it was a bargain, that I paid for it and a truly handsome pipe.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
img_26851-600x302.jpg

Finally getting some photos uploaded. Here is my pipe as purchased.

Aug 14, 2012
It seems that the age of the briar Pete uses is unpredictable. If you get one that is not well aged, it won't smoke really well no matter how great the grain is. If that happens and you want to keep it, just clean it up and put it away for 20 years. They continue to age when they are finished pipes. It would probably age better if you remove the wax and stain.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I wonder if drying for a few months at, say 250º, would also help? (Not that I am going to do that with a poor smoker unless she's awfully good looking...)

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Well I have had one of our local pipe experts look at it and the Rep from Peterson as he was in town the other day and both concur that it is likely a very good piece of briar and it smokes great!!! This pipe is remarkably light for it size and in comparison to a new one of the same type it is noticeably lighter in weight and better detail and finish. I am very pleased with it.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have 56 smoked Petersons pipes, no problems. I have 115 Petersons in my unsmoked stock and I can not see that any of these should give problems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome pipe (to me), and you say it is smoking well for you, so I think you've done well on this Pete. Light weight often is a sign that the briar is good and well aged, so that's another plus. I've been lucky with all of my four or five Petes, but I have it on good authority from Forums members that there have been major disappointments even on high end Petes. So, maybe I have my Petersons.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
There can always be disappointments.I have a Dunhill which is a hot smoker, it sweats and I think its taken to early from its mother, not dry enough before it have been finished.

I once sent a pipe to Dublin and it was returned together with a new one, no problems in that.

I have much to many pipes. I more need a pair of shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.