PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Peterson's dip-staining problem has been epidemic (10 plus year or more) It's no secret, no conspiracy. Just google it. I don't think there are that many "Peterson Haters" making false claims. In fact almost all - if not ALL) the buyers love Peterson pipes but dislike purchasing slopped up pipes.

I believe the new Pete owner (who posts here) has stated that they stopped doing it. I have no reason to not believe him. Time will tell.

Reactions: BROBS

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Earl, guys are running their pipes through their dishwashers now...and supposedly getting good results. I'll stick to Everclear and swabs, it's a cool ritual for me. To each his own. :)
Just don’t get caught in the rain, you might get stained fingers!

• Haha
Reactions: olkofri

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Personally I prefer new pipes to be left alone (bare briar) or use an old skool' process of lightly charring the bowl chamber by exposing it briefly to a propane torch. I think it was Blakemar who did this...maybe a few other pipecrafters did it as well.

Reactions: Casual

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
natral finish petersons have bare surface in chamber. two i have were bare. the latest ones have rather thick coating, they don't have any taste and wears out soon. no finish under that. bit older ones have matte coating, they will also wear out with no coating under them. that's from my pipes. they were all new. most of them are from SP. one from PC, this is the oldest by the hallmark. one from TP.

Reactions: BROBS

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
In June of 2017 I bought my first Peterson, a Shanon XL02. To this day itis my favorite. I never thought about bowl coatings, but I don't ever remember it tasting bad as I was breaking it in. The finish is not dipped. In February of 2018 I bought a x220. Again it did not taste bad at all. The drilling is spot on in the bowls for both pipes; however, the stems are not. But both smoke really well. I truely enjoy them. There were some QC issues with the 220 but I can live with them. With the prices that I see on pipes Peterson is a decent value. I just plain love the way they look. My only advice wood be is if you have the chance to put a Peterson in your hand to inspect before you buy it, do so. Of course I feel that way about any brand of pipe that I am considering for purchase.
Jef

Status
Not open for further replies.