Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Guys how can I clean my perterson aran with out taking apart. It has the Peterson "system" in it for moisture. I have tried very thin pipe cleaners with no luck.

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
I always have to take my Pete systems apart to get them properly clean. Never have problem with the stems.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I thought taking pipes apart was not good for them. That is what I have been doing for years, but since I joined this blog I thought maybe someone had a different idea.

Pulling stem out after every use good or bad. Of course after cooling

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't think Arans are System pipes.
But if it won't pass a pipe cleaner all the way to the bowl (either due to an extreme bend or a gap between the the end of the tenon and the mortice), Spartan's right. Just wait until it cools.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Its over six years old. Has a p lip and the second area just up from bowl for condensation.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Aran pipes are not system pipes. That being said, many Petersons have a smaller moisture trap. Depending on the shape, yours may have one too.
On my non-System pipes, I run a pipe cleaner through the stem after each smoke. As far as it goes. Sometimes they get stuck in the moisture trap, sometimes I can wiggle one all the way to the bowl. Every half dozen smokes or so, I let it cool completely, take it apart, use a Q-Tip to clean out the moisture trap, brush stem and shank real well. With my rotation now, that comes out to about once a week or so.
Hope this helps.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
That should work. If it's new, you may want to do it a little more frequently. But taking it apart carefully and fully cooled won't harm it. I guess after years you may wear it out a bit where it may get a little looser, but I haven't been smoking long enough to have that happen.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
It has been taken apart, but smoked 100 times+. In six years so pretty infrequent. :!:

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Aran is not System, it only has a peterson regular moisture trap. Best method to keep your pipe in a good condition is to wait until it cools after each smoke, take apart the stem from the shank, run bristle cleaner inside the stem, and another one in the shank until it appears in the bowel. roll a tissue around itself tightly and insert it in the shank, rotate it slowly until it reachs the moisture trap then remove it. keep inserting tissues until you are sure that there is not residual moisture in the trap. assemble the pipe again and store it on the rack for 24 hours to be sure it is completely dry.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
At the end of the day i take apart any pipe that was smoked to clean it. It is amazing how dirty the shank will get after only one or two smokes.
So far i have not had any problems with the stems, but i would rather risk that than let the pipes stew in their own juices.
Cleaning the pipes after every smoke may not be necessary, but i have never had a sour smoke.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Dear Mr. Philip, Please correct me.
I think i depends on the blend you smoke, I smoke Captain Black Round Taste, it is aromatic, after only one bowel, the trap is full in shank is very dirty. When I smoke Davidoff Blue Mixture or Danish Mixture for exmaple, I need to clean the shank after 4 smokes. My opinion is that it all depends on the tobacco nature and blend.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
@hanymamdouh
Definitely the aromatics get messier faster.
But unless i clean them i cannot be sure how dirty they are, so it is just my habit to clean them all. That's just my preference, not a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.