PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I just picked up a couple Peterson Laxiom pipes that are quite unusual. Both are stamped "Great Britain" on the stem. Both are black rusticated models which reminded me of a black Pioneer Block Meerschaum in my collection, in large part due to their similar stem and ferrule design. The Petes are relatively lighter in weight and are not labeled as meerschaum.
I noticed that Laxey Pipes Ltd made African meerschaum bowls for Peterson and that it was a Peterson Manx partnership with a factory on the Isle of Man, which closed in 1981 when Peterson's meerschaum production was moved to Dublin.
Putting two and two together, I'm guessing that Peterson Laxiom pipes are East African meerschaum, but it's gnawing at me that they might be some sort of wild composite, like Brylon. I can say with almost 100% certainty that the draft hole was drilled and not molded, as one of the two is obviously off-center.
A post from a number of years ago regarding Laxiom pipes came up empty, even after inquiring with three longtime Peterson employees.
Can anyone confirm or refute my belief that these are African Meershaum?
IMG_20170926_135440.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As far as I am aware, all meerschaum pipes, irrespective of what name they are stamped with, that came out of Laxey were made from African meerschaum.
I have a couple of Barling meers that were made in Laxey. I have about three other makes but don't smoke them.
Regards,
Jay.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
With the new forum software, it's easy to go look at your old posts and I noticed that this one had no answer. Since I have answers to my questions now, I thought I should share them for posterity in case anyone else stumbles across a Peterson Laxiom pipe. Most importantly, they are rusticated briar, not meerschaum.

I wrote to Mark Irwin, author of The Peterson Pipe Book, asking about my Laxiom pipes. He replied and shared a snippet from the Encyclopedia chapter of his then yet-to-be published book:

Laxi 1971–1975 Easy-push mouthpiece for Iwan Ries, often with ferrule, P-Lip or fishtail. Tenon protruded from shank into cavity in stem, stem could be re-ordered if broken.

Laxiom 1971–1975 A briar line produced for Iwan Ries, walnut stained, smooth or sculpted finish with vulcanite Laxi mouthpiece, from Peterson-Manxman factory. See Laxi.

He also sent this catalogue image:
IRC%201971%20p%2019%20Laxiom%20Peterson%20Manxman-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cortezattic

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Thanks for the info. The rustication on the pipe in your original post looks outstanding.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It IS an interesting rustication. It is virtually identical to the black meerschaum Pioneer pipe I have which was produced in the same factory. It seems unlikely, though, that the same methods were used for rustication, given how dissimilar undried meerschaum is to cured briar.

One thing I found surprising is that since the Laxiom was supposed to have off-the-shelf replacement stems, I would have expected the fitment method to be consistent, but notice that once of my pipes has a reverse tenon and the other a conventional tenon?

i-wRnXKs2-X2.jpg

i-LxnNTSR-XL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.