Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

redglow

Preferred Member
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Just found a tin of Irish Flake at a local cigarette/tobacco shop.
It was one of their final 3 tins. The other two were Peterson Irish Oak ad another Peterson brand that I can’t recall.
I’ve never had it before. But I’m ooking forward to giving this a try.

btp79

Jan 27, 2018
I have a pretty deep stack of irish and university flake. They never let me down.

monkeylyf

Nov 1, 2018
One of my favorite, especially for the winter time rotation. Pretty strong tobacco so I only smoke it around 1 hour after dinner, even though I can still feel the hic-hit from time to time.

Enjoy!

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
I have some jarred up that I've had a few bowls from. I find it to be very heavy in the nicotine department. But that is a personal preference, like how some people find Nightcap strong.
Long story short, smoke and see if you enjoy it!

workman

Preferred Member
Jan 5, 2018
I have found the much repeated advice on slow smoking to be especially true with Irish Flake. It is very rich and bold, but a slow cadence lures out the sweet aniseed flavoring (or is it liquorice?). It compliments the dark strength of the tobaccos wonderfully.

cortezattic

Preferred Member
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I thought I read, somewhere, that Rattray's blends, by Kohlhase & Kopp, shadowed Peterson's marque. The Stirling flake sounds like Irish flake to me...

https://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/zigarren/rattray-s/flake-collection/stirling-flake-932.html?markenansicht=1

btp79

Jan 27, 2018
I think Sterling is Irish and Wallace Flake is University. At least that's what I heard through the grapevine.

alexnc

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2015
I believe Sterling Flake may be the same as Irish Flake. Age will benefit IF, and a slow cadence will be best.

hawky454

Preferred Member
Feb 11, 2016
Both Sterling and Irish Flake taste nearly identical to me. I’d personally rather have Lakeland Dark, 1792 or Dark Flake (GH&Co) than those two. Also throw in MB Bold Kentucky and we’re good to go.

redglow

Preferred Member
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds nice & strong.
Decided to stow this tin away for future enjoyment.
Kind of fixated on my GL Pease collection right now. ☺

mtwaller

Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
<p>So I’ve been REALLY interested in trying Irish Flake or Stirling Flake, I just learned about them a couple days ago. They sound fantastic, but every website says “no longer available”