PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Just found a tin of Irish Flake at a local cigarette/tobacco shop.
It was one of their final 3 tins. The other two were Peterson Irish Oak ad another Peterson brand that I can’t recall.
I’ve never had it before. But I’m ooking forward to giving this a try.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
It would really benefit from a year or two of aging, if you could afford the wait.

monkeylyf

Lurker
Nov 1, 2018
One of my favorite, especially for the winter time rotation. Pretty strong tobacco so I only smoke it around 1 hour after dinner, even though I can still feel the hic-hit from time to time.

Enjoy!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have some jarred up that I've had a few bowls from. I find it to be very heavy in the nicotine department. But that is a personal preference, like how some people find Nightcap strong.
Long story short, smoke and see if you enjoy it!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have found the much repeated advice on slow smoking to be especially true with Irish Flake. It is very rich and bold, but a slow cadence lures out the sweet aniseed flavoring (or is it liquorice?). It compliments the dark strength of the tobaccos wonderfully.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I thought I read, somewhere, that Rattray's blends, by Kohlhase & Kopp, shadowed Peterson's marque. The Stirling flake sounds like Irish flake to me...

https://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/zigarren/rattray-s/flake-collection/stirling-flake-932.html?markenansicht=1

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I believe Sterling Flake may be the same as Irish Flake. Age will benefit IF, and a slow cadence will be best.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Both Sterling and Irish Flake taste nearly identical to me. I’d personally rather have Lakeland Dark, 1792 or Dark Flake (GH&Co) than those two. Also throw in MB Bold Kentucky and we’re good to go.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds nice & strong.
Decided to stow this tin away for future enjoyment.
Kind of fixated on my GL Pease collection right now. ☺️

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
<p>So I’ve been REALLY interested in trying Irish Flake or Stirling Flake, I just learned about them a couple days ago. They sound fantastic, but every website says “no longer available”

Status
Not open for further replies.