PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
Today for my birthday I stopped into a tobacconist I had never visited, (Stag in CO Springs) and picked up a new tobacco- Peterson Irish Flake. I asked for something strong and this fits the bill. I smoked a bowl an hour or so ago and feel pretty comfy sitting by the fire. It is the first flake I've tried and I enjoyed it very much, it has an insense like smell and taste I haven't been able to place, (maybe sandle wood or frankensense?).
Anyway, it is pretty strong and I'm glad I smoked it on a full stomach. At the store they warned me to start off slow with it. I think I'll try some other flakes, Virginias and VaPers. I have three new pipes coming tomorrow, (a lot off of ebay) and I plan on setting one aside for these as I usually smoke Latakia blends.
Any other Irish Flake fans here?

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
My go to tobacco for sure. I love the stuff and it will always be in my rotation. Been meaning to try erinmore as well, any comparison?

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Irish Flake is a "stealth" flake. It is SO smooth that it doesn't seem possible it has as much nicotine as they say. But it most definitely does. What a great tobacco.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
Are the Peterson (or Erinmore) Virginia/Burley flakes a specific style of tobacco, and/or how does one refer to these as a group?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Irish Flake is a wonderful blend - I find the nic just about right for daytime smoking (after breakfast though lol). Very similar is Irish Slices (by Stokkebye nowadays).
If you smell these in the tin, their aroma shouts "Old fashioned tobacco!" Like my dad used to smoke.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
rsuninv wrote:
IMO, Erinmore is "gentler". I'll put it this way. I can smoke Erinmore all day but I can only have one bowl of Irish Flake. I'm a Nic sissy but working my way up.
That is the consensus i came to as well. I was going to try a tin out for my last order from SPC that included 12 new tobaccos on my list of "to try's", but when i looked it up on tobacco reviews it just didn't stand out to me as much as the others i ordered for some reason. I will definitely be picking up a tin next order, as i have heard a lot more great things about it since the last order.
For me, i can smoke Irish Flake all day long. Coming from cigars, and the darker and stronger cigars being my favorites, i think i have quite a high tolerance to nic. Now don't get me wrong, i definitely feel it and have gone overboard a few times, as billypm said it is a "stealth flake". But i have never found it to be unbearable or too much nicotine, it was just a matter of me smoking too many bowls of it back to back and it creeping up on me. I am very careful when i smoke it while drinking, as in my opinion there is nothing worse than an overdose of nic mixed with alcohol. I get nauseous just thinking about it.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
It's strong, but I could smoke it all day, also. There's a lot said about its strength, but there are many blends that are much stronger... The ropes, for instance are much stronger. Even Bracken Flake and Dark Flake are stronger in Nicotine. I smoke Irish Flake not for nicotine, but for the taste which is among the best I've smoked.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
bryanf, i am with you, the nic is nice and is a plus but for me, it is the smooth albeit complex flavors that it offers that keeps me hooked like a crack fiend. Man, i want a bowl right now but i'm at work...dammit!

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
Today after a big lunch I smoked a bowl of PIF- it was all I could do to stay awake when I went back in the office! I think I'll save this one for an evening/napping allowed smoke. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.