Peterson Irish Flake: how strong is it? (first non-aromatic tobacco)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I just purchased this tobacco online.
I've heard it's very strong.
What are your opinions on this?
It's my first non-aromatic as stated in title and I'm very excited to try it.

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
It is one of my favorites and is somewhat strong. Strength likely depends on your tolerance for nicotine. Maybe eat a meal before your first bowl and see how it goes.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think I remember from your other threads that you are used to nicotine, so it won't be a problem for you. It is the strongest blend in my rotation along with Royal Yacht, 1792 Flake, Lakeland Dark and Bold Kentucky. But it is a pleasant smoke. Not at all harsh or anything like that.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
If you smoked cigarettes for a long time before you took up the pipe, you may not feel the nicotine as much as folks who didn't. I never got any of the head-spinning sickness that I've heard of, I just get the nice, familiar comfort feeling that tells me a blend is strong. I have gotten a small buzz from Irish Flake, but not every time. I'd still consider it a strong blend, though, based on the fact that I felt it. And yes, if you haven't built up a tolerance, best to eat something first... I guess? I really wouldn't know, I was born with a lip full of Grizzly Long-Cut Straight.

Sep 18, 2015
Only one way to find out!

Like the others have said it just depends on how your body reacts, I smoke a lot of blends that are considered ‘strong’ and haven’t yet found anything that is a room spinner for me.

I sent some samples of what I considered med to full to a friend, he tried the Royal Yacht, didn’t even finish the bowl and said he was sick for two days, so ya never know!

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
As others have said, reactions are individual. I have a high nicotine tolerance. I never was a cigarette smoker. It must be a body chemistry thing. - You might want to have a sweet drink handy before you light up. That can help counteract the nicotine if it becomes a problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mandaro, I'd pack your smallest pipe or a partial bowl and get a measure of the blend. Diving right in is "fun," and I've done that, but if you want to enjoy and continue with this blend, it would be good to get to know it and its strength. With your cigarette background, it might be nothing. But smoke it to enjoy it, I'd say.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I will tell you guys as soon as it arrives, for sure!
Reading your opinions, it seems like I won't feel the nic hit, since I've inhaled big cigars and never felt it. I'm sill very curious about it though.
Since it's my first non-aromatic and I've heard great things about this particular one, it feels like a very promising experience.
I've always liked the strongest cigarettes and cigars.
It's a shame non-aromatics are so expensive around here (for my pocket). This Peterson cost me $30. If I like it and then come back to smoking only 7 Seas and its friends ($6), it will be kind of sad.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Diving right in is "fun," and I've done that, but if you want to enjoy and continue with this blend, it would be good to get to know it and its strength.
Well, even if I don't like it, I will feel the need to smoke the whole tin, considering the money it cost me... :lol:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Very strong. Dark Flake and rope are stronger. Though also very strong, 1792 and University Flake not as strong. On par with War Horse.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
In your opinion, should I rub the chamber with alcohol/spirits before starting to smoke this tobacco to remove the ghost of the aromatics that I smoke?
Also, should I smoke the whole tin without intercalating with aromatics to enjoy the full flavor?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
So, it arrived today.
I felt very nauseous when smoking it, and after it too.
Not like a traditional nic hit. No room spinning or light-headedness. Just pure lingering, persistent nausea.
Have tried it with empty stomach, with full stomach, with water, with cold coffee, and even used anti-nausea medication... Nothing worked.
Very bad. I don't know if the problem is the type of tobacco, the strength of the blend, or whatever else.
Anyone else with the same issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.