PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
So far, all of the pipes I own are straights. I just prefer straights visually. But since I've come back to piping, and doing more of it while driving, I've been thinking it's time to get a bent pipe. I'm not much of a clencher, but I do tend to clench between puffs while driving. Part of my concern has been that still being a bit of a novice, I tend to have to run a pipe cleaner through once or so during a smoke. I've been hesitant to buy a bent online due to the fear a cleaner won't pass, and I'd be stuck with a gurgling smoke. I kind of figure a pipe with an army mount might solve that issue if it came up, though, and I like some of the compact sizes and reasonable pricing on the Peterson Irish Made Army pipes. These pipes seem to have been around forever and are quite popular.
Any members here have them and what are your thoughts? Are they easy enough to break down and clean mid-smoke? Only Pete I own in an entry-level Shannon bulldog, and I love it for English blends. For this new one, I'm envisioning a smaller-bowled bent billiard like the 69 (nice!) shape and I'll primarily be using it for strong flakes and while driving.
Likewise, if you have any other suggestions for quality bents in that sameish price range ($75-$125), I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have lots of bents that pass a pipe cleaner with ease. Just need to find a straight one. My bent Rads are dead straight. My big Teekin Meer bent is easy to do a quick clean.
I own both straight and bent, but probably prefer bent. They are more comfortable to me.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I have a Peterson System Standard 313 (my first pipe ever, actually). It’s an army mount, it’s compact and affordable. Honestly, it smokes better than some of my Peterson’s that cost twice as much. I’d definitely recommend. It’s a kick ass on the go type of pipe that you don’t have to baby or worry about too much.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any members here have them and what are your thoughts? Are they easy enough to break down and clean mid-smoke? Only Pete I own in an entry-level Shannon bulldog, and I love it for English blends. For this new one, I'm envisioning a smaller-bowled bent billiard like the 69 (nice!) shape and I'll primarily be using it for strong flakes and while driving.
I have dozens of bent pipes, and most will pass a cleaner. If you're a gurgler, just dry the tobacco more, and slow down the puffing. Only in a rare instance will I breakdown a pipe mid smoke. And I don't remove the stem often between smokes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a Savinelli 606KS, a Stanwell 185 and a Stanwell 86, all varying levels of bend.
They all clench well and pass a cleaner easily. Even the 185, as big as it is, is comfortable for hands free usage.
The 185 is one of my VaPer pipes and takes two Bullseye Flakes easily for a long smoke. The 606 gets a lot of dark fired blends, usually ribbon and never gurgles. It IS a bit longer and a standard 6.5" cleaner just barely reaches the bowl. The 86 is fed Virginia and Lakeland flakes and cut plugs. Not as deep as the other two, but smoking the denser cuts gives it a decent smoke time.
The links chosen were the first ones on a google search that showed an image I liked, not any site recommendation.
jay-roger.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I may just be paranoid on the cleaner thing. Like I said, I don't have any experience with bent pipes. Been thinking I might just hit a B&M and then I can test them out in person. If it costs me a few more dollars, so be it.
I have a Peterson System Standard 313 (my first pipe ever, actually). It’s an army mount, it’s compact and affordable. Honestly, it smokes better than some of my Peterson’s that cost twice as much. I’d definitely recommend. It’s a kick ass on the go type of pipe that you don’t have to baby or worry about too much.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. Especially for driving when I'm only half paying attention to my smoking technique. Does your Pete have a P-Lip, and if so, what do you think?

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Aesthetically my favorite pipe with the same sort of thing going on is the 2018 Peterson Christmas pipe. It might be something to consider!

bezver510

Lurker
Sep 3, 2019
You described my situation. I bough my Peterson irish made army 68 several months ago, and it was the best choice for driving. I use clean mid smoke everytime and my pipe has no stem or briar problems. I bough it like tough army brutal spigot. Main word- spigot?And it work.
But i think it works only with no filter pipes.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
The Sav 606 is a classic bent shape, imho. I've owned one and would definitely recommend one. And it would pass a cleaner...most of the time.

I've also owned a Pete spigot 69. A classic shape, as well, and just as good a smoker as the 606. I never had an issue with cleaners.

The Sav 673 is also a good choice here. My favorite bent shape for clenching while driving.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Peterson B11, identified usually as a brandy, sometimes as a volcano, is bent, not heavy, a sitter, and available in a range of prices and series. I like it so well, I own two. I prefer the fishtail bit. It has a good big bowl.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I have a Peterson Army 69 for a while.
Pretty nice pipe. I use it when I travel, or if I am outdoors.

I am thinking also to get a Chacom Military.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With bent pipes, I wouldn't worry about the pipe cleaner test, Some do, some don't, doesn't matter.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Looks like this thread goes back a few months, but everyone ”needs” just one more pipe for that very specific task or circumstance!
I suggest looking at the shape and specs of the Peterson 999 with Army mount considering what you describe. I have one, and is great for the car. Rather shallow bend, not a huge bowl, will easily pass a pipe cleaner (assembled or disassembled).

Status
Not open for further replies.