PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
As promised, the Peterson Christmas Holiday tobacco review, as posted on luxurytobaccoreviews.com:
Brand: Peterson

Blend: Holiday 2010 

Blender: Kohlhase, Kopp & Co.

Type: Aromatic

Cut: Broad Ribbon

Cure: Air cured

Tobaccos: Virginia, Black Cavendish, Burley

Strength: Mild

Room Note: Mild to Medium, Very Pleasant

Tin Size: 100g

Tin Age: New to 6 months

Tin Description: Red and golden Virginia tobaccos from the US and Africa are the basis of this wonderful mixture. They are blended with double fermented, broad cut Black Cavendish as well as a hint of roasted Burley, refined with a delicious aroma of cookies and cream and a touch of espresso. The result is an irresistible pleasure for both your palate as well as your environment.
Truth in advertising from the tin description, as this is one irresistible offering from Peterson. Their aromatics are, as a rule, of top-quality leaf and casing, and are very reliable sweet smokes. In this Christmas blend they have outdone themselves, and raised the bar for subsequent offerings.
Tin: The warm and inviting artwork of a red, wreath-adorned door opens to a tin with an incredibly rich fragrance redolent of exactly what it claims—chocolate cookies and cream and espresso, and even some fruitcake, caramel sauce, simmering butterscotch, vanilla and figs. There is no searching or stretching the imagination for the aroma, it is rich and deep and heady, and not at all perfumey or chemically. The tobacco is equal parts golden and orange versus dark chocolate and espresso colored wide ribbons in a characteristic Peterson mottle.
Char: On the first match a burst of flavor from the Virginias easily lights the bowl, and the sweetness of the casing does not cloud nor hinder the tobacco shining through. The measure of red Virginia is as apparent as the sugary sweetness of the cased Cavendish.
Top: As the fire progresses, one can discern the proportions of the tobaccos being as listed on the tin—first the red Virginias, highlighted by the gold; the sweet cake-batter Cavendish in lesser amount, and finally the Burley rounds it out with a wonderful chestnut note and coolness of smoke.
Mid: The balance of this blend is perhaps its most remarkable achievement. Bowl after bowl, tin after tin, the sweetness of the casing never outstrips the flavor of the tobacco, nor vice-versa. The smoke develops a fuller body as the bowl progresses, elucidating the flavors of holiday treat breads baking, gingerbread and cinnamon and caramel and butterscotch with colorful fruity notes interspersed like a fruitcake. The back of the tongue gathers the sweetness and has the mouthfeel of having had a shot of espresso con miele, the honey clinging to the palate. The retrohale excites the burley, and carries in it all the tin aroma with the addition of the burning leaf, producing a wonderful roasted chestnut experience.
Finish: At times the rich body of the smoke actually makes the mouth water, as if one were chewing on fruitcake and Oreo cookies. The dark coffee tones step forward in the latter half of the bowl, riding along with the Burley nuttiness. Fig and mulled wine, sugar and spice. Despite a rather constant cadence and repeated bowls it tends not to bite at all, and leaves such a richness on the tongue that it simply begs for more. The smoke is thick, creamy and chewy, in all the best ways. Paired with an Irish coffee it reaches sublime proportions.
Room Note: The smoke produced is nearly identical to the tin aroma, and will serve as a pleasant reminder of the pipe as it clings gently to your sweater.
Overall: Perhaps one of the finest aromatics ever produced. The casing never competes with the tobacco; it glorifies it. Even confirmed Latakiaphiles have sheepishly asked for a bowlful of this, which was gladly gifted. It will be sad when this is but a ghost of Christmas past.
RATING: 4.9

The formulation is almost magical, and the quality of the tobacco ensures its place in the pantheon of great specialty blends. Added points for the beautiful presentation tin.

Minor points lost for the tin not being sealable.
EXQUISITE

pete%252520w%252520tins.JPG

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Where'd ya find the 2010 blend? I've looked at a lot online retailers and can't find it in stock anywhere. I'm dying to try that though. The flavoring sounds amazing. Can't wait to see what the 2011 Holiday blend is like.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Another great review Romeo!
-
Lord,

You will probably not be able to find the 2010 from many, if any, retailers. The Holiday blends are limited edition blends that are only available for a few months of the year (normally from around September to December) and when they are gone, they are gone. I would hazard a guess that Romeo bought his tin last year and just now got around to do a review on it.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I can't be for certain, but the last time I was at one of the few distant B&M's that I go to infrequently had this on the shelf.
I will look for it next time I am there.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was just curious because Cup O Joe's has the 2009 Holiday Blend from Peterson available to buy. Maybe they sold completely out of the 2010 one and still have a few left over from '09. I know they're all limited edition blends with only a specific number of them made for that year. It'd be nice if they'd make some of them main stays though. I've heard a few of Pete's summer and winter blends have been really really good blends. Well I'll plan on getting at the least this years winter blend.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Your care package will post today LOTPR :)

These limited edition blends are made all the more special because they are limited, IMHO. If you find one you like, stock up on it! The 2010 blend blows the 2009 out of the water; the 2009 was apparently the first time Peterson's had made a holiday blend, and although good, it's not stellar--i give it a ~3.25 rating. I'll have the review of that coming up soon....

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
You know, all this makes me look forward to christmas for the first time since I was a little boy. The son of a certain female accomplice of mine liked the smell of my special reserve for this year and if he gets a good smell of me smoking the christmas blend he'll be a pipe man when he's older. So long as we arent driven underground of course.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Once again thanks romeowood. Greatly appreciate it. I'm definitely getting this years Holiday blend and I might even pick up the Special Reserve and Summertime blends as well.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
If you do let me know how they taste LOTPR. I'm quite fond of the '10 summer--a brilliant melange of peaches & melon. Haven't found another peach aro that compares.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I can already tell you what the special reserve for this year is like romeo. Red liquorice at first, then changing down the bowl to bring out a more strawberries and cream flavour.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I've had friends and total strangers asking me about the smell of it since I got it. Its likely to last me a long time too, since as you know these special tins come nice and full. Its got the aroma on top of it and theres always the actual taste of some very fine virginias there too.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Just found another tin of this at the very back of the humidor of a smaller B&M in the area, lucky me! Will crack it open tomorrow and see if it's as good as I remember it to be :)

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Answer: YES and NO.
YES, it's the same deliciousness that I remember.
NO, it's not the same, but a lot BETTER!
Over two years of age have done some magical things with the Virginias. The overall blend is fused together so well that you can't really separate individual parts anymore. Holy lord, this is probably best lightly cased Virginia (I hate to call this an aromatic) cross-over blend that I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy. If you ever come across another one of these beautiful red tins don't even think of not buying it!
Oh boy, oh boy! This I consider a personal Holy Grail tobacco. Awesome, awesome taste from start to finish, cool smoking, no gurgle, lots of smoke, slow burning, perfect strength, super high quality tobacco leaf, fantastic room note, and leaves a delicious aftertaste in the mouth for hours. Hand to god, this is the stuff of legends.

Status
Not open for further replies.