PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hmmm.... Sounds interesting; thanks, Javan! I've never smoked any of Peterson's stuff, but if black cav is involved I might have to try some. And yeah, I know -- lat/English fan that I am, it just don't make no-how sense. But do I ever? :)
Bill

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
All the Peterson Christmas blends or Holiday Season blends have been limited editions and only made for one year. They were all aromatics and if you search tobacco reviews you will find that they have been rated from 2.7 to 4 stars as the blend changes each year. My favorite was the 2015 which had a blackberry/cognac flavoring.
The Peterson Christmas blend 2017 may still be available and I liked it also. It has an amaretto and fruit flavoring with some vanilla.
I tried ordering the 2018 but apparently they decided not to import it to the U.S.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They were all aromatics typically some combo of Virginia/Burley/Black Cavendish with the top dressing changing every year.
I think Tom Palmer said his wife did the rough sketches for the tin art for all of the limited edition tins (Holiday Season, Special Reserve, Summeritme).
As for the price, brand new they were typically around $25/tin. I would think if you could find them on the market they shouldn't be terribly expensive, because the packaging was in a cellophane bag inside of a hinged tin that didn't seal air tight, so the leaf will probably be quite dry now and require rehydrating.
I still have some left over from 2013, 2015, 2016 jarred up in the cellar. I also picked up the first run they did in 2008 at the 2017 West Coast Show from a California B&M that had a table. They had probably a half dozen or dozen of them and I think I paid about $35 for the one tin I purchased.
Not sure how it goes with the FDA stuff, but I'd like if Laudisi could potentially put them on the market or maybe create one same holiday blend in the same packaging to sell year after year. With the whole FDA insanity though I can understand if it's not feasible for Laudisi to do it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I believe Laudisi just make the pipes and don't have anything to do with the tobaccos, as for the Christmas/Holiday blends I have tried 3 the 2015, 2016 and 2017.

The 2015 was berry and cognac and was the best of the 3 (well to my uneducated palate anyway) the 2016 was apricot liqueur and was nice but the topping was quite weak when compared to the other two and last year's version was berry & ameretto which tasted a bit like marzipan to me and was also enjoyable. They didn't release a Christmas version this year and I don't know if it was because the company doing the blending had recently changed so they didn't have enough time to come up with something or if they aren't going to do them anymore,hopefully they will resume next year as I for one look forward to smoking them over the Christmas period.
Chris.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm not really interested in the tobacco itself, but I really like the tin art they use. I would just like to have some of the tins to put on display in my man cave. I currently only have one, 2013. As for that particular blend, as that's the only one I've ever had, I thought it was alright.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I’m fairly certain these were produced by Kolhase & Kopp for Peterson. They also made the Rattray’s Winter Edition blends, and while there is a Rattray’s Winter 2018 blend, I was told by Smoking Pipes customer service that they would not be importing it due to the FDA regulations. I suspect this will also be the case for Peterson. I recently learned of a Kolhase & Kopp-produced Samuel Gawith Christmas blend which we likely will not see as well.
I might add that Kolhase & Kopp’s aromatics are generally superb. They produce blends for several marks, including Rattray’s Exotic Orange. After discovering the excellence of that blend, I’ve been on a spree trying a variety of others. Dan Tobacco is another producer to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.