PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Anybody use any pipe from the Army Mount range? Care to offer your opinion on this range? I like the idea of being able to break the pipe down warm, I think they'd make a fantastic walking/fishing pipe.
Have Peterson managed to sort out their quality control yet? I've read alot of posts on various forums about Peterson having fairly basic problems with drilling and finish, most are a year or two old. I've got to order blind from the internet so if Peterson haven't sort this problem out I think I'll order for another company.
Thanks

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
I have an Irish Army Mount style 106. I like it. Smokes well and the stem does come out very smoothly even when hot. Never had a problem with how the stem seats. I have had a problem however with the nickel band. It has come loose and spins freely around the shank. Right now it doesn't effect the smoking so I'm in no rush to fix it but I have heard of similar complaints with their silver bands on pipes and have had it happen to my Peterson Donegal Rocky 999.

As far as drilling and finish goes on this pipe; I must first say its from 2004 but no problems in either respect.

Good pipe hunting, and fishing. Her on the Mighty Miramichi River we're still waiting for the ice to open.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I also have an army mount 106 and its a fine smoker. The first one I had I sent to a fella in Canada but then ended up getting a deal on another. I had a fishtail stem made for it though.
I think Peterson may be on the upswing in terms of quality but there are still probably a ton of inferior pipes in the line. I checked out probably a hundred or so at a recent St. Patrick's Day sale and did not find any issues with drilling. Heck, they have had a bent Rosslare 01 that allowed a pipe cleaner into the bowl. I've heard the same from other people who have been able to review pipes at other trunk shows for Peterson.
That said, definitely ask questions before you purchase online.
@meatballj - You can use Elmers wood glue to refasten the collar. FWIW, I have had the collar come lose on other brands aside from Peterson. The wood glue seems to work and allows you to position the silver collar before it dries. Superglue would work but its so fast you might not be able to get it positioned to your liking. For instance, if you want the markings to face a certain way.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not sure how the whole Peterson quality control thing got started. There was even a post on here recently asking those who've had issues with Peterson pipes to say where they were purchased from and it ran for a good fifty posts without anyone mentioning the name of a place they got a bad Peterson. Most of the post were similar to my experience with Peterson that I have a dozen in my collection and none of them have any QC problems.
I have a System Standard that's army mounted, not a part of the Army line, and I've had no problems with it. The nickel mount is securely in place and the pipe breaks apart easily even right after a smoke.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Check out the Kildare series at Smokingpipes.com. They are all army mounts. I have four of them and they are great smokers.
Kildare
They are a little light on their selection and no billiards at the moment. They are good solid smokers though.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm not sure how the whole Peterson quality control thing got started. There was even a post on here recently asking those who've had issues with Peterson pipes to say where they were purchased from and it ran for a good fifty posts without anyone mentioning the name of a place they got a bad Peterson. Most of the post were similar to my experience with Peterson that I have a dozen in my collection and none of them have any QC problems.

I might have missed that post or didn't report the name of the retailer (QC is with Peterson, not the retailer). I purchased a 2014 St Patrick’s Day pipe (shape 107). The hole drilling with the bit and stem was off. You had to turn the bit 320° to get them to align. For a straight pipe that is inexcusable. It was my first Peterson BTW.
I am looking at the Irish Made Army line to try again though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have six Petersons (I hope I have the count right) all bought new, the first about three years ago, the

most recent about a year ago. I do not have an Army mount, but I have a range of rusticated, smooth

laquered, and softer finished stains. I've not had any complaints. They all broke in well, fairly soon,

except for a Kapet rusticated author that took a little longer but is now prime. Drilling is fine; bands

are fine; finishes fine. I'm was sorry to hear about the QC troubles, but I can attest that Peterson is

capable of fine work.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Not to turn this into a "Defending Peterson QC" thread, but I have 13 Petersons, ranging from bottom-of-the-line Arans to top-of-the-line House Pipes, and I have not had a single problem with any of them. All are beautiful works of art and great smokers.
That said, even the bottom-of-the-line Petersons are expensive when purchased new, and I would expect nothing less than a perfectly functioning product from a reputable company with such a long history. Hopefully if any such QC problems existed, they have been fully corrected.
Be sure to buy from a reputable dealer with a clear return policy. Good luck!

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
Where are you all finding the 106 shape? I've been looking for the Silver Mounted Army in 106 P-lip for a while.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a number of Petersons with Army Mount stems. I haven't had an issue with any of them. (Two in the 999 style, four in the Xl 21 and one XL 14.) All are fishtails.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Bollitopipe has a 106 P-lip in stock if you are still looking for one kwilliams40.
Peterson Army Silver Mounted Red 106
You could always just email Peterson's directly as well to see if they have one - shop@peterson.ie
The Ashford 106 army mount is a sweet pipe and is easily found, but it is fishtail only.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have several Peterson military mount pipes and enjoy them all. I have several others from other companies, and have a great fondness for them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's a beauty, kw40!
For fishing, I prefer a beater pipe or a cob. - I have a couple of bent Petes that fit that description- great smokers, very sturdy, but lots of blemishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.