PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2015
I've been considering a Savi 673 for awhile but have recently been drawn to the Pete St Patrick's Day 999. I don't own a Pete and I really love the look of their pipes but have seen several people criticize their newer pipes. So I am seeking advice on my selection. Any thoughts concerning which pipe would be a better choice?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amazingly, I own pipes on both sides of this comparison, a Peterson 999 Killarney P-Lip and a Savinelli Opera 673KS. The comparison is handicapped only by the Pete being a P-Lip, my only P-Lip, and perhaps by the Sav Opera being a somewhat up-market version of the 673, with the extra size of a KS and the series being also somewhat up-market. I find them both sturdy and competent pipes, hefty in hand, but not overweight in any way, and beautifully balanced. I have had no complaints with any of my Petes, and this one is no exception. However, the 673KS has the look, feel, and draw of a luxury pipe. It compares favorably to the best in my stable, a Ser Jacopo and a Ferndown. It's just noticeably more of a pipe. Take the specifics of these pipes into consideration; they aren't a perfect match. But from these, liking them both, I'd recommend the Sav.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I'll go the other way with this one.. The Savinelli is quite elegant and classic indeed. It looks luxurious and all. However, the 999 is a beauty and an excellent smoker. The double grooves make it extra beautiful and cools it down - like in a car radiator - I have the Dracula variation of it and it looks - in my opinion - prettier than the Savi

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One major point of difference between those two - as far as I know, the Savinelli is only available as a filter pipe. The 999 St. Pats day may be available with a filter, but I believe most are sold without. I'm not a filter guy, so that would be the deal breaker on the Savinelli. Or get the adapter, but that makes it fussy to keep clean.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another deal breaker for me - the Savinelli is only available with an acrylic stem, the Peterson is vulcanite (I assume you are referencing a 2016 St. Pat's day pipe). So, you are comparing pipes with distinctly different stems.
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/peterson-st-patricks-day-tobacco-pipe-2016-999-fishtail/

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If you can't handle them in person make sure to go with a vendor that will examine the pipes for you. SPC is great for this. Anecdotally, Peterson has less stringent QC and looser manufacturing tolerances. That said, every pipe is unique.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have 6 Savinelli pipes ranging in age of 20 to 50 years old (mostly estate pipes) and all smoke great. Ive always wanted a vintage Peterson but missed opportunities on deals. Id say don't pass on a good deal, go for the Peterson and enjoy, from what I have seen there is a large availability of affordable Savinelli and other quality pipes.
What ever you decide, post a photo :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you can handle both of them that's the best way to make a decision. Otherwise you're less likely to find a flaw in the Savs.
As to filters, I find no discomfort with just removing the filter and smoking as is.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a good number of Savs and Petes. All of them smoke really well.
The $152 Miele 677KS Savinelli I have has just as many fills as my $80 Peterson Aran B5, about four or five. Personally I'd say the brands are about par with one another.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The Peterson 2016 999 will only be available for a limited time. If the finish appeals to you, you should get it. I have a St. Patrick's Day 2009 pipe that is a joy to smoke. My two favorite pipes are a Peterson Graftonn 999 and a Savinelli Bing's Favorite, which I use mostly for Virginia tobaccos. I don't think that there is much difference between the two brands, at similar price points, to smoking quality.

Dec 28, 2015
Well I tried to buy the Peterson St Patrick 2016 poker a while back but it sold out before I could get one. And I do love the finish so I was just about to pull the trigger on the 999 even though I really think the Savinelli might be a better smoker. And then I looked again at the Savinelli liquirizia 673 and it stopped me in my tracks. I just keep flipping back and forth. Although I think I will be happy with either choice.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Get the Liquirzia you will not be disappointed! I Love Pete's and have a few 999, but I pick up the Liquirizia a few months ago and it is not just a good pipe, but a great pipe. The stem coloring mixed with the stain is very classy. The candy that comes with it is STRONG! Be warned..

Dec 28, 2015
Well I have settled on the Savinelli liquirizia 673 after much contemplation. Thanks for all the input and I may still end up getting the Peterson at a later date. Will post pics when I get it.

Dec 28, 2015
image26-600x575.jpg

image28-600x595.jpg

Pics of the new Savinelli Liquirizia 673. The pictures really don't do it justice.

Dec 28, 2015
Hal o the Wynd and so far I believe this is going to be a spectacular smoker. That Italian liquorice that comes with it is some strong stuff though

Dec 28, 2015
Yes these flavors are a match made in heaven. And now I have GOT to quit buying pipes for a while. This is getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.