PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi,Gentlemen, I wonder if it is correct to call this very Peterson 606 pipe as being a Pot Shaped pipe, I have that one of St Patrick Days 2016 and I'm curious to give this pipe the correct shape definition,nevertheless,shall I point out this very comes rather with a narrow thick walled bowl, Thank you for tipping me off,

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mr. Wike calls this one a pot. I'd say it's close to not being a pot, but that still leaves it a pot!
002-029-29129.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
-paulie-
I've thought a pot more a function of the ratio of chamber height to depth, not dependent on the thickness of the wall, somewhere around a 1:1 ratio.
So as I mentioned, it's almost not a pot! :) (In the photo above)

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
I am a fan of Peterson pipes and always check out the new lines when they come out. The 606 is always listed as a pot although some sites do note that the dimensions are narrower than traditional pots.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Thanks Jazz, so a Pot shape could come with a narrower chamber,years back most all Pot shaped pipes had roomier /broad chamber if I'm right
I think so. I don't believe it has to have a broad chamber to make it a pot. No matter how wide the chamber the shape is still the shape. To my mind anyway.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shapes are always in the eye of the beholder, but I'll always defer to the carver or manufacturer unless they are way beyond the category. I'd say the 606 is clearly a pot, on sight. Many pots do offer a broader than average bowl, but you always need to check the dimensions, or phone and ask for that if they don't list it (which is a clear deficiency in a web site).

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
This is my Peterson Roundstone 606 (recent purchase; posted previously). A little more top-on, the bowl is large: something like 20mm across. And Peterson literature calls this shape a pot.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
So there we go, obviously Peterson has this 606 coming with various chamber wide, I have similar to yours in these pict, but it has narrower chamber,somewhat closer to this 606 summertime model, bowl across being 18mm

Status
Not open for further replies.