PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's the 2019 Peterson 312 with the NAP bit and a 4AB cumberland stem. Peterson only produced this particular bit from around 1890 to 1905. If you look close enough, you may notice that there are three holes in the bit to spread the smoke around your mouth. Only seventeen of these were made, and Silver Gray did a fantastic job making the stem. Whether Peterson will put this NAP bit into production is up in the air.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Man, it would be fantastic if Peterson could offer that on a run of production pipes, but reading that article really shows how labor intensive the process is.

Still, there might be a market for a limited run - for example much like the amber stems or even some limited silver trimming, etc.

I for one might just be tempted at the price and I’ve spent more than that sum quoted from the article on far less worthy indulgences.

It could happen perhaps...?

Reactions: JimInks and rogers

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't know about the lip itself but I really like that swirl in the stem. It gives it a very subtle dark stained wood grain look.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Here's the 2019 Peterson 312 with the NAP bit and a 4AB cumberland stem. Peterson only produced this particular bit from around 1890 to 1905. If you look close enough, you may notice that there are three holes in the bit to spread the smoke around your mouth. Only seventeen of these were made, and Silver Gray did a fantastic job making the stem. Whether Peterson will put this NAP bit into production is up in the air.
View attachment 7426
View attachment 7427
View attachment 7428
What are you smoking in that Pipe, Jim?

Reactions: JimInks

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If I remember correctly, I believe Mark told me that those bowls were hand-picked at the factory for this project. I ultimately passed, because Mark was seeking smokers who used a variety of blends to test and that's not me. I thought the project had stalled, so now I'm glad to see it was completed.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If I remember correctly, I believe Mark told me that those bowls were hand-picked at the factory for this project. I ultimately passed, because Mark was seeking smokers who used a variety of blends to test and that's not me. I thought the project had stalled, so now I'm glad to see it was completed.

I never heard anything about trying a variety of blends in the pipe. That was never said to me.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I am one of the fortunate fifteen who have at least one of these NAP reproductions. Mine is identical to Jim’s, except with a red brindle (Cumberland) stem. It’s an outstanding smoker. There’s something about that stem that seems to intensify flavors for me. Of course, there’s no way to do a blind test, so it might be my imagination, but there are blends that I’ve thought were too subtle (boring) for my taste in the past, but in the NAP are very flavorful and delicious. I’ve only smoked Virginia and Virginia-Perique blends in it, so I don’t know how English blends will perform.

As for the smoke distribution, especially at the start, you do notice the unusual airflow. It’s most obvious at the sides, but depending upon how I’m clenching, I am sometimes very aware of smoke coming around the ridges in the button. It’s very effective at widely distributing the smoke. I think this helps avoid tongue bite, but I rarely encounter that anyway.

As for comfort, the button is pronounced enough to be a comfortable jaw hanger and doesn’t feel odd in my mouth at all. One of the reviewers mentioned that when smoking it, the inside of his lip sometimes feels “crinkly”. I have not experienced that with the NAP, but have at other times with other pipes.

Finally, cleaning has not yet been a problem. Staying diligent with regular cleaning, Obsidian oil or something similar, and keeping it in the dark I my plan. I imagine that cleaning oxidation from the grooves in the button would be a bear and I’d be VERY careful about putting the button on a spinning buffer wheel.

Thanks to Mark Irwin for this great opportunity. And thanks, too, to Silver Gray and Brad Pohlmann for their superb stem work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome pipe with a notable history. SP/Peterson did well to get it in your hands, just the man for it. It really embodies that Peterson heft and presence. All of my various dozen or so Petersons are more ordinary versions, but I have been lucky with quality control. I think buying them from Iwan Ries, SP and PC set up a filter so I received good products. Someone was watching out for me. But that one is a prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.