Peterson 301 Pipe, is the draught hole off!?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2019
Sweden

Just bought a Peterson 301 pipe and the draught hole seem to enter the tobacco chamber a bit up instead of at the bottom.
As read from an old pipemaker ' It's physically impossible to smoke below the draught hole of a pipe ' hence my pondering.

To clarify what I mean, the tobacco chamber is drilled in the shape of an acorn.
In my Vauen - Olaf pipe the draught hole enters the chamber more or less in the 'tip' of the acorn.
However in the Peterson pipe it enters approx 3-4mm from the bottom and slightly of center!?
Is this the way it should be on their pipes of that model or is something off with the one I got?

Anyone here who has got a Peterson 301 that could verify?
Thanks in advance!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Germans have precision at the heart of their culture so might tend to put the airway just at the bottom of the bowl. The Irish may be a little more inspirational, but the draught hole you describe sounds completely functional. All of my Petersons have given good service, some over years. Welcome aboard from central N.C.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think you will be fine. Nice pipe!

If the tobacco in the heel of the pipe isn't soggy, you can indeed smoke 'below the draught hole', within reason.

Standard-System-314.jpg

Reactions: the sheltered piper
Status
Not open for further replies.