PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Peterson’s Sherlock Holmes

This is a blend of air cured, ribbon cut Orange and Red smoking leaf, Brazilian Burley and Virginia Mysore Indian tobacco. The blend originates from the 19th century.
When I opened the tin the aroma of dried fruit was the first thing that hit me. The tobacco was densely packed, but was not sticky or wet and has a very soft texture and is a very nice light golden colour. The cut is quite fine which can cause problems if packed too tight. After lighting and tamping it down, it re-lit evenly, and burned uniformly down to the bottom of the bowl. There are no strong flavours and strangely this tobacco tastes very much like it smells. It is quite mild, with a mouth-watering sweetness that isn't too sweet. I have smoked the whole 50g and have not had any bite although strangely I found that if I smoked bowl after bowl it becomes a little bland which left me yearning for something with a little more punch.
It will not feature in my list of regulars, but it was a good experience trying it out. I would recommend this to new smokers and those that prefer a mild to medium flavour and strength tobacco.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Very good review Excav8tor.
I too find much of what you mention to be true about Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend.

I like it. But, like you it isn't going to be one of my regular smokes.

However; I thought enough of it to put a tin in my cellar to be opened on that special day.
You should post your review on Luxurytobaccoreviews.com, and here's why.
When someone looks up a blend, they want truth in the reviews they read, not an opinion, like... "This stuff is great!, or "Don't waste your time". Those comments might pass as a review to some, but are hardly helpful to those seeking information so they can make an intelligent choice. A review like yours and Kashmir's that I also read here today are exactly what this world needs... good, well thought-out arguments. The reviewer doesn't have to like the tobacco particularly, but needs to be honest about what they perceive and that (IMHO) is what separates a useless opinion from an informative review.
If anyone else is curious and desires to take a stab at writing some reviews (but aren't sure where to, or how to begin) here is a link to some helpful hints written by GL Pease. Everyone "here" knows that Greg knows what he's talking about. Reviews Without Tears;

Taking the mystery out of writing tobacco reviews

I look forward to reading more of these wonderful reviews.

:clap: Great job!

:puffy:

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Great review. I smoked my first bowl of Sherlock Holmes last night and I have to agree with you 100%.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I use it as my break in blend since it smokes so evenly and consistantly to the bottom of the bowl with a lower number of relights than usual. I like the casing, but to me it seemed to smell and taste more like raspberry truffle candy. Wasn't too overpowering of a casing, just enough to enjoy. Plan to have a bowl of it sometime soon in honor of the late Edward Hardwicke who recently passed away. Edward Hardwicke played Dr. Watson opposite Jeremy Brett (who played Holmes ofcourse) in about 28 of the 41 episodes Granada television made. Great blend and a great actor.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the great write-up. Like Lawrence said, the reader wants to know what to expect when he opens a tin

and fires-up a blend; and your review filled the bill nicely. Good job, and I hope you take the time to relate more

experiences like this. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.