PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Anyone spotted issues with the wrapper leaf of the Curly Block, recently?

Last batch I got scared the shit out of me at first, as the stick had a handful of small white dots visible on the surface.
After looking closely at these, seems these were not mold (despite the matching white color) but kind of defects of the wrapper. After sitting few days in the original and unopened plastic bag, the spots seem to keep size and color which rule off them being a mold (also).
I assume these spots were either effect of the processing, either some processing or chemical agent got sprayed on the leaf burning a bit the surface and turning it pale white. Or the was some decease on the plant leafs that damaged the leave and they kept on using it.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I just cut up the remainder of one block and it was great. No wrapper leaf issues. After this post I checked my other blocks in the cellar and they look fine also.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Dont think it is. Spent some time looking at it even with a magnifying glass :)

Will try to take some pictures.
These were ordered from their online shop directly btw.
On the other hand when I dropped a mail to them, the only thing I got in return was "Dont worry it is ok."

FFS with that attitude.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Cigars sometimes have spots on them due to water droplets sitting too long on the leaf and it affects the chlorophyll in the leaf. Perhaps it is that? You can Google pictures of it and see if looks like what you have.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
If it’s a new batch there shouldn’t be any “bloom.”
My point exactly when these assholes tried to convince me that it is a gloom and not to be worried about :(
Really disappointed with the service there. Dunno if any of the European folks here had any experience with Peter Heinrichs but .... I am by far not happy.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
I've ordered from Peter Heinrich a couple of times. No issues at all, but then I didn't need to get in touch with customer service. If you didn't receive a long, eloquent reply, consider that there might be a language barrier - though a**holes probably would be understood by most :mrgreen:

I just inspected my last received block, and it does have a couple of very light/white spots on the wrapper. Doesn't look like mold at all, and I don't think I would have ever noticed without reading this.

What a great tobacco btw.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
It is not unheard of for tobacco to have small specks on it. These specks are caused by a myriad of problems. Ozone is one of the main culprits. Back somewhere around the early 1900s the craze was white speckled cigars. Other specks could be from diseases like brown spot but they are usually bigger. Specks on leaves although not common, they are fairly abundant. Most pipe smokers never seem them because their leaf is usually shredded and sauced.
Specks rarely show up on cigar wrapper because the growers/manufacturers know the importance of a pretty wrapper to the consumer so they do their best to mitigate them.
If they truly are specks from the growing process you should be able to apply pressure to them with a small diameter object. They should pop out of the leaf, leaving a hole.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Dunno if any of the European folks here had any experience with Peter Heinrichs but .... I am by far not happy.

I've had very positive experiences with Peter Heinrichs. I am in Germany, about 1.5 hour drive north of their Berheim store. My orders always arrive very fast, in good condition, and with nice little bonus samples. When I've contacted them with questions they have responded very fast and with thorough answers. If I recall correctly I received email responses from Jaqueline Heinrichs.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Bloom is poorly understood, and although "new" we have no idea how long they age their blocks before selling, but I doubt it is bloom or plume or whatever we want to call it. Secondly, their response, as mentioned above, may likely be a language barrier. I don't see any attitude in them telling you that you are good to smoke it. I'd be happy with such a reply, personally.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I don't see any attitude in them telling you that you are good to smoke it.

I agree with seldom and crashthegrey. I do think your public name calling is way over the top, especially since they provided you with a terse, helpful reply. If it is moldy it will be obvious, send it back. Otherwise, light it up.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Try emailing Peretti's you will get zero response. Try calling them if want an ass chewing for asking a simple question! I was ordering 3 pounds in multiples of 8oz cans and wanted to be sure i would be getting 6 8oz cans that they would not just ship 3 one pound csns.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
I was curious if someone observed something similar recently. Otherwise I can promptly rule out if bloom (which I was almost sure it is not) by leaving it in the bad for few weeks. If it doesnt spread then its good :)
My problem with them is that after several emails from my end, aside a single 1 line answer, bottomed by "If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask" there was nothing else from them.
Dont think it is the language barrier but just some I dont give a crap attitude ...

Which is sad to be seen these days.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
That you mail back asking more questions or making comments, and in a week no one bother to answer from the shop.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I just received another order from Peter Heinrichs this week. It came fast and in good condition. They included a disposable pipe lighter as a free extra.

In April I ordered a tin from them and got a pouch instead. I wrote an email to inquire about the discrepancy. They got back to me the same day with this message:

thank you for the response.
Unfortunately the supplier of W.O Larsen changed the design of the dose, because of the security sticker

In front of the pouch/dose. There wasn’t enough space and so they decided to change into a pouch.

We are sorry, that the picture in the online shop wasn’t updated.
Best regards

Jaqueline Heinrichs
I really have no complaint with Peter Heinrichs and will recommend ordering from them to friends.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Personal choice where you would order from.

I also had no issues till the last one.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Double check that disposable pipe lighter, seldom. I recently bought a couple cheap Cool brand pipe lighters from The Danish Shop. They look disposable, but are refillable. One even has a folding tamper which does the job in a pinch.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks craiginthecorn! You are right, it has a valve on the bottom for refills.
photo-on-7-18-18-at-419-pm-600x400.jpg
I know it is just a cheap thing but I still like getting little freebies with orders (this order was about 50 bucks). Other times Peter Heinrichs have included freebie samples of some of their blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.