Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sallow, Curly Block is more sweet and less peppery than Escudo. I find the flavors are more towards Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. It is not a Perique power house but it is there.
It only comes in the 250 gram rope and as you see it is not cheap. I happen to think it is worth cellaring as with 10 years of age this should be awesome.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When expensive? Packaging not apparently costly, not sliced nor tinned, and I'm assuming not a special preparation, the same as the Special Curly. Ah!, knowing the higher regard that the targeted buyers have for pressed/spun tobacco, they know we will pay it.
Also curious whether there was/is a real Peter Heinrich,and if so how do we know that his name wasn't/isn't George, Pete or Harry?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Also curious whether there was/is a real Peter Heinrich,and if so how do we know that his name wasn't/isn't George, Pete or Harry?
Definitely real. He passed a few years ago, but the shops are still in business with his family. I've been there (Germany). They say there 10,000 pipes in the main store. I believe it. Very good people, I spent 4 hours and had a blast looking and touching many pipes.
P.S., I guess the cat is out of the bag now regarding Curly Block. It has been my under the radar tobacco for a while now. And, yes it's expensive for the block/log/roll, but one log lasts me almost a year and if you price average it per pound, it is not much more $ than Escudo.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Salt, Curly Block to my tastes is not the same as Curly Special. I find the Block to have much richer flavors and more Perique in it. I also get more fig and raisin notes from the Block as compared to the Curly. When I first ordered Special Curly I was hoping for a similar flavor to the Perique laden Three Nuns, it was nothing like it. I love a good vaper but Special Curly was not anything special and I never re ordered it. After just one bowl of Curly Block I knew I would be cellaring this one deep, it is going to be amazing in ten years.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Why expensive? Packaging not apparently costly, not sliced nor tinned, and I'm assuming not a special preparation,

I think it’s silly too. They do less work and charge us more. I would much rather have it presliced and I would much rather it be less than two inches around. It’s more of a novelty in my book.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, I like the whole rope idea. Yes it has to be jarred which I dislike, but it doesn't dissuade me from buying it. I enjoy playing with a rope as it is the only one I cellar. I am smoking it right now and I sliced thin coins and then folded and stuffed them. I used some kindling for the top and it has been burning great for over an hour in a group 4 Dublin.
I am somewhat limited in the amount of vapers I can smoke due to my allergy with red virginia's. Blends this good without the reds are kind of hard to find, so when I do,I try to load up quickly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like the ropes too. Makes smoking them more hobby-like than just packing a ribbon.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
The price has always been what has stopped me from buying curly block but it does sound very good. It is a lot of bang for the buck though. Might even be worth splitting with someone to make sure I like it (pretty sure I will like it though).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nate, if you like Escudo or Deluxe Navy Rolls or SG St James flake or Solani 633 I believe you will definitely enjoy Curly Block. If for some reason you don't I will buy it from you and pay shipping. Now you have no excuse not to try it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Michael, welcome to the club. When I came back from my hiatus I had no intention of cellaring anymore tobacco. I was done, kaput, never buying another tin. This place makes that impossible. I heard of new blends I have never tried. I found a McClellend blend that didn't burn my tongue(Butera Dark Stoved), I find out about Curly Block and I am in full blown cellaring mode once again. The enabling that happens here is a real phenomena and should be studied by historians. I know the sponsors just love it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Forums are like huge ads for hobbies, otherwise there wouldn't be any money in them for the owners.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like ropes too! CB is more of a ...umm... block than it is a rope.
Btw, I’m trying to turn you guys off of cellaring it! It’s no good! Go find your McClellands before they reach $500 a tin.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
When I came back from my hiatus I had no intention of cellaring anymore tobacco. I was done, kaput, never buying another tin. This place makes that impossible. I heard of new blends I have never tried. I found a McClellend blend that didn't burn my tongue(Butera Dark Stoved), I find out about Curly Block and I am in full blown cellaring mode once again. The enabling that happens here is a real phenomena and should be studied by historians. I know the sponsors just love it.

That’s why I disappear from time to time! I run out of money and I just have to keep away. You guys have me wanting to cellar tobaccos I would never even smoke. Weird how that works. I still have a large tub of Edward G. Robinson’s Mixture that I bought on a whim... I can’t stand the stuff!

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Alright, alright, I trust you. That is one that I have been contemplating for a while...the next order if it is in stock I will pull the trigger. It sounds right up my alley.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
hawky, I have a narrow window of blends that I like so buying something out side of that is something I just don't do. Between tobaccoreviews and my buddy jiminks I haven't bought a stinker in a long time. I smoke no English or Lakeland blends which eliminates a huge sector of tobacco.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
What is the best size jar for this block? Will it fit in an 8oz small mouth Ball or Kerr jar or is it too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.