PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I saw some of the Peterson’s Dunhill released on Esterval’s. Any idea what they’re calling Royal Yacht?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'll be waiting for reviews thank you very much. I know they say same same same but sometimes same ain't same!
There's every reason to think they'll be exactly the same. Same blend, same tobaccos, same blender, same factory, same tin with different cover art and notations.

Jun 23, 2019
There's every reason to think they'll be exactly the same. Same blend, same tobaccos, same blender, same factory, same tin with different cover art and notations.

Fair enough had no idea that was the case. Always thought Dunhill stopped producing those blends for a while now I figured the factories would've been repurposed and maybe some of the tobaccos are getting scarcer. But to be fair even Re-Releases aren't immune to the occasional change in taste.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Fair enough had no idea that was the case. Always thought Dunhill stopped producing those blends for a while now I figured the factories would've been repurposed and maybe some of the tobaccos are getting scarcer. But to be fair even Re-Releases aren't immune to the occasional change in taste.
Dunhill stopped producing these blends in the early 1980's, then outsourced production to Murray's. After Murray's stopped producing them, the blends were licensed to Orlik and STG, who have been making them for the last decade or so.
STG apparently always intended to continue to produce the Dunhill branded blends, but had to come to an agreement with BAT, who held the rights.
So these should be identical to the versions that STG was producing as they have the production line already in place and use their own sourcing for the components. About the only difference will be the name assigned to these blends since Dunhill no longer wants to be associated with tobaccos.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Jun 23, 2019
Dunhill stopped producing these blends in the early 1980's, then outsourced production to Murray's. After Murray's stopped producing them, the blends were licensed to Orlik and STG, who have been making them for the last decade or so.
STG apparently always intended to continue to produce the Dunhill branded blends, but had to come to an agreement with BAT, who held the rights.
So these should be identical to the versions that STG was producing as they have the production line already in place and use their own sourcing for the components. About the only difference will be the name assigned to these blends since Dunhill no longer wants to be associated with tobaccos.

Thanks for the knowledge! I knew Dunhill was trying to shed their tobacco associates, didn't realize they've been trying for 30 years!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the knowledge! I knew Dunhill was trying to shed their tobacco associates, didn't realize they've been trying for 30 years
Some of their "shedding" was certainly done to have the production work done by others, and economic choice. I'm supposing that as long as the Dunhill branded blends were profitable enough and big enough, the parent company would have soldiered on, holding their nose at being associated with tobacco. And yet, there are still Dunhill cigs, no?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm supposing that as long as the Dunhill branded blends were profitable enough and big enough, the parent company would have soldiered on, holding their nose at being associated with tobacco.
I think that's accurate. The cigarettes are big sellers. The pipe tobaccos not so much, but they had their devotees, enough to make it worthwhile for STG to buy the blend names and the artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.