PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My only concoctions so far are a 50/50 mix of molto dolce and plum pudding. Sweet English.

The other is quite good, and it's 90% Dunhill Navy Rolls with 10% plum pudding.

I have just purchased some various blending tobaccos from McConnell, C&D, and GH. Gonna give some home made blends a whirl when I get a few minutes. The first one will definitely be a Va/Per with some Latakia and it will be called Lord Grand High Chancellor of the Realm's Personal Proprietary Anniversary Cellar Special Reserve Limited Edition No. 1. I will only be releasing one tin, glass with artisanal hand sketched and signed labels made out of narwhal leather, with the tin wrapped neatly in a bow of Bald Eagle feathers. Considering a light moon dust topping, but that's still in testing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just starting to get into this... I'm attempting a blend that I'm calling "Kintail English Cake".. its:

1 part Matured Red VA
1 part Bright VA
1/3rd part Smyrna
1/3rd part Turkish Blend
1/3rd part Latakia
Pinch of Perique.

I cased it with honey and stuck in a press. I'll let y'all know how it is in 2 weeks time. Since this is my first attempt at blending, I hope it doesn't turn out to be like smoking a septic tank. :D

Holy Cow! That's an aggressive start. But it should be good, esp turned into a cake. Look forward to hearing the results.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I have long dabbled with making my own blends (a couple of which ended up as C&D Blends.) Since discovering the noodle press I've added plugs to my repertoire, which is a lot of fun.

That is so cool you've had some blends released!
More info on the noodle press please!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Here’s another noodle pressed blend I call “ Navy Cake”

25g Sutliff Red Virginia Ribbon
25g Hearth & Home Marble Kake
10g McClelland 5105 Stoved Va
6g Stokkebye 702 Burley
6g McClelland blending Perique
10g Country Squire Treasure Island (a very sweet rum aromatic)

I’ve smoked half a plug of this so far, and it’s definitely one of my better attempts. Unpressed, the perique really stands out, but when pressed it blends into the background with just a constant dark fruit bass note, and very little pepper

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Holy Cow! That's an aggressive start. But it should be good, esp turned into a cake. Look forward to hearing the results.

So I cracked open the pollen press for a look-see today. It's a nice dense plug, reeks of latakia (not in a bad way) and is merrily fizzing away, fermenting. I'm going to give it till next Monday before I break it out permanently.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I hate to waste tobacco so when I am smoking a few different blends I often toss the remnants into one small bowl and mix them and then my last pipe is this mixture. I was recently trying some Peretti Blend No.52 to see if I like Burleys. Well, I didn't like the taste on my tongue so I smoked some Peretti Black Virgina and did like it. So at the end, I mixed the Blend No.52 with the smaller amount of left-over Black Virginia. I then decided to drop in a pinch of C&D Latakia I had and presto, best smoke of the day. Just blind luck, I guess, but that mixture hit all my buttons. So I went and mixed .5 oz Blend No.52 with .5 oz of Black Virginia and .25 oz of Latakia. Not bad, but maybe a bit Burley heavy. Was thinking about mixing the following:
5 oz Black Virginia
2 oz Blend No. 52
1 oz Latakia

Any opinions?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
So I cracked open the pollen press for a look-see today. It's a nice dense plug, reeks of latakia (not in a bad way) and is merrily fizzing away, fermenting. I'm going to give it till next Monday before I break it out permanently.
Well here it is. A tidy little plug. Good Latakia smell. I’ll let you know what it tastes like a little later on. 7278

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019
East TN
First impressions, I should have let it dry out more after rubbing it out. I can taste Virginia’s and a little Latakia . I’ll finish this bowl and try it again in a week or two. It’s not bad.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
End of bowl report: too wet , needed several relights, burned down all the way, started to taste the orientals down the bowl. Room note was cigaretty. At this point if I were to do it again, I’d put more orientals and Latakia. I’ll see how it is in a couple few weeks. There’s about 2 bowls left of it

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Hauntedmyst - which C&D blends?

It was writingraav. The Hebraica Series .

I ordered a press. I've now pressed Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend mixed with C&D Latakia. I've also pressed Timm's London #1000 just to press it. Pressing is awesome. Next I'm going to press an English aro.

Reactions: writingraav
Status
Not open for further replies.