PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
Does Perique ghost a pipe? Should I have a dedicated pipe just for Perique blends?

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
I guess my question is how many different pipes should I need to dedicate to latakia blends, aros, english, etc. for their own pipes so I don't have ghosting?

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
My game plan when I was trying to figure out that same thing was to get the Missouri Meerschaum bag of seconds. $30 for 10 cobs can't be beat, imo.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
SOme people are more sensitive to ghosting than others. Perique is used sparingly, most of the time, so I would not worry about dedicating a pipe to specific perique containing blends.
Personally, I have some pipes I use for Virginia's and VA/Per's, for English / Latakia mixtures, and some cobs incase I run into some aromatics. As for burley's and other mixture that would not fall into one of the above categories, I will smoke it through the english pipes.
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure most ghosts can easily smoked out. So don't get too hung up on dedicating pipes.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Personally, I have three dedicated pipes. One for straight VA tobaccos, one for heavy Latakia blends, and one for Aros. Other then that I just go with whatever tickles my fancy.
Though I have to admit the dedicated pipes are a bit on the cheap side. I simply dont have the funds to have three dedicated 400 dollar Rad Davis pipes or whatnot. One is a block meerschaum from Africa that I paid about 45 bucks for, one is a 100 or so dollar David Jones pipe, and my third is a 25 dollar pipe I got from a american carver who was trying to liquidate that turned out to be my best smoking pipe yet, go figure.
If you dont want to go for briar I would recommend getting a couple Cobs for whatever you dont smoke much of but dont want ghosting your pipes. At 5-10 dollars it really is a hard deal to beat.

I don't dedicate pipes just for perique. My Virginia pipes is what I use to smoke my VaPers, because the amount of perique is so sparse as northernneil mentioned. However, for Haddos Delight and a couple of my stronger VaBurPers, I do have one particular pot-shaped pipe (I hesitate to call it a pot pipe, ha ha) that I prefer to dedicate, because those blends do better in it and just might leave a faint ghost.
That all said, it may be that VaPers would ghost a tiny bit. But, I don't think it detracts from my usual Virginias in any way. It may even add to my enjoyment of them.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been dedicating pipes to different types of tobacco (one for aros, one for Latakia blends, one for Va/Pers, one for codger Burleys, etc., with a bunch of cobs for good measure), but it's less about fear of ghosting and more about not knowing enough about variations of flavor to determine whether or not I've got a ghost. I just figure that, for now, it's easier for me to experiment within the broader categories if I'm not second-guessing myself about whether the flavor I'm experiencing is the tobacco I'm smoking now, or the tobacco I smoked last week. :lol:

flux

Lurker
Jul 25, 2013
In my (albeit limited) experience, the only tobaccos I worry about ghosting pipes are aromatics and latakia blends. I don't smoke aro's, so no problems there for me. As for latakia, I have two pipes that are strictly off-limits--VA and VA/Per only in those. But I haven't noticed any of the perique carrying over when I smoke a straight VA in them.
What's everyone's opinion regarding burley? I don't have any burley blends in my rotation, but I'd like to try some. Will it ghost a pipe, or is it prone to being overwhelmed by already ghosted pipes? Like, how might a burley blend behave in a pipe that has only seen VA and VA/Per?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Nothing will ghost a pipe less than burley. That being said, the really mild stuff like american OTCs like Prince Albert or Carter Hall will be overwhelmed in a ghosted pipe. But you generally aren't savoring the nuances there anyhow.
Latakia & Aros are the worst of the commonly encountered tobaccos for ghosting but the real culprits are heavily scented stuff like Lakeland blends, Condor, or anything with Deertongue.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've found that smoking a VaPer in the same pipe used to smoke straight Virginias will impact the taste of the Virginia. Or, more specifically, the difference is noted if you smoke a Virginia in a pipe used mostly for VaPers.

Status
Not open for further replies.